"you look ..........different" were her exact word

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

"you look ..........different" were her exact word

Postby krandle » May 13th, 2005, 6:20 pm

thinner. was her next word.
Okay let me tell you this story. Quickly.
I was at my local grocer store. One that i went to at least twice a week. Same people worked there every day. Never spoke to me. Spoke to my baby but NEVER ME. :x Fine. I was there one day returning some diet pills that i wanted a refund for. And i was asked why i wanted to return them. But not for the reasons you would think. But for the simple fact that i need to loss weight so just take them already. I got so nervous. So i had to tell her that i had diabetes. Then she told me i should consider get this......GASTRIC BYPASS. I was livid. I mean the first time you say something to me is a surgery to loss weight. I called and complained. It didn't make me feel much better. So i stopped going in there. Until i lost 35 pounds. Then i stopped again and started again almost 90 pounds lighter. And low and behold i saw crazy lady there almost a year later. [oh yeah this happened late last year]And she walked over to me. Mind you i was minding my own business and said to me, you look different. Thinner. You look good. What are you doing. I kept it short and sweet. I said to the cashier that was helping me" people treat you different when you lose weight" i winked smiled and thanked crazy lady for her compliment and left. I have dreamed of that moment since that incident. And got nothing out of it. I thought i was going to resent her for being nice to me now and not then. But i didn't . People treat me bad when i am overweight. That is why i will never have a lot of friends. But in some ways i have grown.
krandle
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby dlr2424 » May 13th, 2005, 6:44 pm

Krandle..........the sad truth is there are people who are unkind due to our appearence.... :sadblue: ......they are shallow and very judgemental.............but that is their loss..... :secret: .....for they miss the opportunity of expanding their circle of wonderful aquaintences..... :yes: ......but please don't get disheartend.........I believe there are wonderful people out there that love us for who we are and not what we look like..... :heart: ........people with loving hearts who bless our world........we need to pray for the unkind people of this world....... :angel: ...as difficult as that may seem
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 13th, 2005, 7:05 pm

I am really sorry you had to go through that. I haven't been fat a long time but I am SHOCKED at how strangers think that have a license to tell you what is wrong with you and how to fix because because you are big. I wish I had a dollar for every time some do-gooder told me "What you really need to do is..." I have heard "don't eat breakfast" "stop drinking sugared soda" "you must eat too much steak"..all sorts of total crap. I used to try to explain "actually I haven't had a real soda in years..etc" but I don't bother. I am a girly girl who loves her make-up and I can just imagine if I started telling homely people (many of whom are giving me advice) what they needed to do with themselves UNASKED. Well, I actually did one time...this guy straight out of Revenge of the Nerds at a bar called me FAT for no reason and I let him HAVE it. But, I don't hang around in bars anymore. And I like to have the grace and dignity to ignore rude people.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby krandle » May 13th, 2005, 7:05 pm

I know. You are absolutely right. I have to let go and let GOD.
What a lovely reminder.
krandle

Postby DonicaB » May 14th, 2005, 9:55 am

Krandle~~I have come to the conclusion that people are just rude sometimes and I can either let it bother me or I can just go about my day. I choose to do the latter. I have found that I am a much more compassionate person because of my weight issues. I just love people and I strive to make people feel good. There are enough people out there that make people feel bad.

And you have lots of friends Krandle.......right here. :buddies:

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby krandle » May 14th, 2005, 10:13 am

Thank you. And you are right, i too have more compassion because of my weight issues.
krandle

Postby Nancy » May 14th, 2005, 10:56 am

Krandle ~

I have had similar experiences as have most of us have at one time or another. That doesn’t make your pain any easier to endure, however. I am sorry it happened to you.

We live in a fat-prejudiced society. It is amazing that more people have not spoken about this topic.

Many of us have had horrible incidents that hurt us to the very core of our souls. I try so hard to not judge people or to make condescending remarks to others but in my heart of hearts, I know I have probably said hurtful things to others also.

May your story be a reminder to us that words not only hurt, but they can kill the spirit.

Some people are overweight due to medications and disease; not all are overweight due to an overactive fork.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby queeny » May 16th, 2005, 6:05 am

Krandle I have a friend who was maybe 200 lbs, she was a new girl at fedex , she was single, and I remember she complained of no dates!
Once she started driving, ( very heavy job !) she started losing a few lbs, then she started running, well, during the winter not many noticed her melting ! Spring came and she was at least 60 lbs lighter ! God Bless HER !!! she looked amazing ! She got a new do- and boy, one night she came in the office and was teary eyed, and asked "why is it, that the guy I had a crush on when I was fat never gave me the time of day, now, Im thinner, and hes asking me out .... everyone notices me now.... but, Im the same girl... Now I dont like him anymore.... " now he says dam, you were a real tank a**.... but now... you look great, bla bla bla....
well, he never got a date...but she did eventually find a great guy ! She was like a butterfly , some people are cruel, I notice people think Im deaf.... wow, she gained some weight huh??? Thats ok .... my transformation is in progress !! You did good ~~ :D
queeny

Return to The Weight Room