Venison???

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Venison???

Postby smiller » September 14th, 2005, 6:03 am

Can someone tell me where this type of meat falls? I know it's as lean, if not leaner than turkey and chicken but would it fall in the 5 oz category or the 7 oz category. My hubby loves to hunt so I'm expecting a freezer full of venison for winter. Also, what about venison jerky? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Keep looking up, blessings on you, Sheila M.
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » September 14th, 2005, 9:43 am

Sheila, as with all meat or fish servings, select the leanest portion, cut off all visible fat before preparation. Weigh the meat after it is cooked.

As per the nutritionist at Medifast and Take Shape for Life, "use about a 5 ounce portion of venison."

I would treat it as beef.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby smiller » September 15th, 2005, 5:56 am

Thank you for the response, I know we'll end up with a ton of it before the season is over...
Keep looking up, blessings on you, Sheila M.
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » September 15th, 2005, 9:16 am

Smiller ~

It's interesting how our menu varies among the Forum people living in different regions of the country. My Daddy took me fishing with him from the time I was a little girl and he and my brother have hunted all types of game. Unca lived in northwest B.C. and hunted many unusual types of game. One winter when we visited him he had bear, moose, venison, ptarmigan and other wild game hanging in his meat locker in the shed. He literally fired up the chain saw, lopped off a hunk and I roasted it in the wood cook stove. Lemme tell ya, THAT was an experience for a city girl!

There are some on the Forum here that find a packet of Essential 1 Chicken or Tuna Salad to be just about as wild a protein source that they care to handle! Our daughter views venison as serving Bambi on a plate...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.