The drawback to drawstring pants

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

The drawback to drawstring pants

Postby Diana » April 30th, 2006, 11:53 pm

A handful of years back, I stumbled upon REAL drawstring pants -- no elastic or anything, just a simple turn at the top of the waistline through which a fabric cord ran and secured in the front.

They're a size 26. I bought several pairs.

The great thing about them is that they still "fit," even when I was wearing 30/32s. No, the string didn't tie, but they weren't falling off because of it. I simply didn't tie them. They're linen -- as long as I wore a shirt over the waistband, no one knew the difference. And it spared my vanity from actually admitting that I needed a larger pants size. I larger shirt size, sure -- after all, mammaries are an asset! As long as I still had evidence of my (ahem) size 26 waist, I could lie - if only to myself - and say I was simply big busted.

I am now back down to a size 28 (insert much cheering and high-fiving here) and was quite please last week when I discovered that I could, in fact, tie not only a simple knot, but actually a small bow with the string on these self same drawstring pants. (I had worn the sage green ones that day.)

The other part of this story involve my workday reality. I'm a middle school teacher, which means I have the potential for more breaks than most elementary school teachers. In the afternoon, there's a 5 minute passing period during which I usually sprint to the office, use the facilities, and sprint back to my classroom before the next bell rings. This works best, of course, if there's at least 1 restroom in the office unoccupied.

So, in my sage green drawstring pants, I made my usual dash, still quite proud of my concealed itty bitty pants bow under my blouse. The first restroom was available -- perfect! I locked the door behind me and yanked on the 1 1/2" string to release the bow.

You know how on bows when the length of the string is roughly or slightly less than the length of the bow, the string can acutally slip through it and, viola, a double knot with one hand? Add to this hat trick the element that the string in question has its OWN knot on the end, factory tied and, for all I could figure out, sealed together for all eternity.

So there I was, in the office's main bathroom, hopping around whilst trying to loose myself from my confinement wondering why I hadn't chosen the sage green skirt instead.

I'm now looking foward to returning to an actual size 26 and I will MAKE SURE the dangling string is longer than the loop of the bow -- should I, in fact, decide to keep these dog-gone pants!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 1st, 2006, 5:01 am

:roflmao: I had to laugh at the mental image of you hopping around trying to get those pants untied.

I applaud you :bravo: for being a middle school teacher. I really think that is probably the hardest grades to teach! (I say that having 2 middle schoolers myself)

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 1st, 2006, 5:08 am

What a great post!!! Thanks for starting my day out on such and uplifting note!!!!!! :clap:
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby FluffyNoMore » May 1st, 2006, 6:22 am

Omgosh that is so funny!!! I laugh with you because I've done that soooo many times. When I gained 60 lbs with my pregnancy...I only bought clothes with drawstrings...linen ones too. :) and I've been in the stall doing the pee pee dance trying to untie the knot that I tied trying to untie the bow. LOL!

Eventually we'll NEVER have to buy an elastic waist pant or a drawstring one....or even jeans without stretch(although they are sooooo comfy).
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Trixie » May 1st, 2006, 8:14 am

Diana I can so relate! I love to read your and Dayna's posts. You gals always make me chuckle!
2007 Start Date: 01/02/2007
Trixie
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Shana » May 1st, 2006, 12:40 pm

LOL I think we've ALL done the potty dance while trying to unknot a knot... and cried while doing it while praying we could actually hold it long enough to get the knot undone & sit down :)

And now... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've done a great deal of shrinking and you should be VERY proud of yourself!

YAY YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Start Date: Thursday April 6th, 2006
Age 27
Height 5'2 (and 1/4, thank you very much!)
Shana
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby wildtrk » May 1st, 2006, 1:11 pm

And this is exactly the reason that I know longer will ever buy button fly jeans anymore!
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk

Postby Elke » May 1st, 2006, 1:36 pm

That was funny!!!
Elke

Postby MISSANNE » May 1st, 2006, 2:39 pm

:roflmao:
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » May 1st, 2006, 8:02 pm

Diana ... Loved your potty story!

Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mamabear » May 1st, 2006, 8:22 pm

:lol: been there, done that! :lol:
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

OMG

Postby dede4wd » May 2nd, 2006, 9:16 am

OMG,

I can SO relate! I just "retired" a pair of drawstrings...they didn't have a ribbon anymore, but that didn't used to matter. Now, drop trou city!

I loved your story, I've SO been there!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room