To Scale Slaves...

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

To Scale Slaves...

Postby MusicalMomma » May 9th, 2006, 2:28 pm

OK, My name is Joyce and I am a food-aholic AND a scale-aholic!!! I have found this to be a lethal combination! I would weigh every single day and get so happy if it went down and so depressed if if went up.

SO, being an emotional eater....guess how I wanted to react to each weigh in each day???? You got it! I wanted to eat! If it went up, I wanted to eat out of frustration and depression. If it went down, I wanted to eat out celebration! The pressure alone of that stupid NUMBER made me want to eat too!!!!

WELL, hubby took the scale away and it was the BEST thing he ever did for me!! Now my focus is no longer on the scale and is back on the program!!!!

So, if you too are a slave to the scale....try having a loved one hide it and make them promise to keep it hidden for one week. I think you'll be surprised at how liberating it really is!!!
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby ktrout » May 9th, 2006, 2:33 pm

I could quit weighing myself anytime I want ... I mean, now isn't really good for me but I can quit anytime I want... I swear I could...maybe
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 9th, 2006, 2:35 pm

LOL Ktrout!!!! :roflmao: You're a hoot!!!!
MusicalMomma

Postby Denise » May 9th, 2006, 5:58 pm

OHHHH...I just don't think I am that mature! Everything you say makes perfect sense...but......

hmmmm....

Let me sleep on that one! :|
Denise
Preferred member

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 9th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Hi Joyce, if that were me, I would have rummaged all through the house until I found that scale!!! I admire your resolve, much stronger than I! ;)

Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Nicki » May 9th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Joyce - This is working out great for you! A round of applause for hubby! Being a slave myself, I've thought about doing the same, but I'm convinced that I need consistent daily data for my three trackers to keep until the end of time. :D
(And thanks for cracking me up ktrout!!)
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby sheila » May 9th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Joyce,
I truly knw what you are saying! I had my hubby hide ours for a while, because I had plateaued. But now it is back out in the open, and tmpting me every day! :|
sheila
sheila
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » May 9th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I'd have found it. Or bought a new one. It's one habit I can't break (but there's also a recent study that says people who weigh daily are more successful at maintaining their weight loss than those who weigh less often).

I weigh so often that it really doesn't bother me so much, though. Usually many times a day because I apparently have OCD or something (I know, not something to joke about).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mamabear » May 9th, 2006, 10:12 pm

I had my husband hide the scale for a week once but it drove me crazy. I always seemed to put more weight on if I wasn't weighing myself everyday.

Like Robin pointed out there is that recent study that says people who weigh daily are more successful at maintaining their weight loss than those who weigh less often.

It works for me so i am gonna keep doing it, BUT I don't let the number bother me too much-I just HAVE to know where I am at.
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 9th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Hi Joyce,

First of all, Ktrout, you cracked me up!

I once had to give my scale to a co-worker at 3am. I knocked on his door (the hotel room) and he was very surprised to say the least. By 8am, I was begging for the scale and he didn't give in. Hiders are the best! They're so nice!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby nostoppingme » May 10th, 2006, 4:01 am

Joyce - I am the exact same way!! I had to have my hubby hide the scale - I am just not stronge enough to stay off it. And, like you my emotions take control, and I want to eat if I'm not happy with the number!
I really look forward to Friday morning when I get to weigh (so far)
!
nostoppingme
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Hyperion » May 10th, 2006, 4:30 am

Haha the scale, such a beautiful toy and a powerful depressant.

DogMa, you said a study proved that people who weigh daily are more inclined to maintain their weight loss? Are you talking about maintainers, or about losers?

Since Nov 3rd, I always weigh in daily, exact same time every morning (exception of 1-2 day where I really couldn't, and exception of 2 pleateaus). And yes, sometimes the scale went up. Not as often as you women, I don't have to live with those PMS (well yes, but from another angle with my GF!). And yes, after 5-6 days of not losing by hitting a plateau, I would be frustrated. It was so hard that when I hit the second plateau, I hid the scale for 1 week.

As a maintainer, I always weigh in daily to see the extent of my decisions the last day. For three weeks now, my weight always seems to play between 158.6, 160.6. I think that people have more success when they weigh because they can react to a gain more efficiently. I mean, stumbling on the scale and seeing a gradual raise of 3 pounds in 5 days is better than getting on th escale after a month and seeing 12 pounds up!! Now that would smack us down to the floor! With the three pounds event, you can better evaluate what went wrong (PSM, overeat, bad food, not enough exercise) and correct what is not good. And 3 pounds is so easier to lose than 12 when in maintenance!

It just takes discipline :D
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 10th, 2006, 4:33 am

You guys are hillarious!!! I totally understand both sides of weighing every day. For me, it was lethal...for others it can keep them on track. I REALLY thought that if I did not weigh every day, that I would go into a eating frenzy because there was no daily accountability. Jon begged me for WEEKS to stop weighing every day and joked about hiding it....well last Saturday (after 3 days of cheating) I was so upset with a 3lb gain (Geeeee, I wonder WHY I gained??? ;) ) He finally put his foot down and I finally decided to try life without the scale for one week. Well, yay, I'm back on program, full force, loving it and focused and feeling great. I really thought it would drive me nuts, not knowing, but Jon knew me better than I knew myself in this instance.

But, for all of you, that the scale keeps you motivated and on the right track, I applaude you :clapclap:

**I admit I can't wait for Sunday weigh in tho ;)
MusicalMomma

Postby Hyperion » May 10th, 2006, 5:02 am

MusicalMomma,

Your husband is really wise :D

Now, when your weekly weigh-in arrives, you'll be more than happy with what you'll see on the screen :mrgreen:
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby 2BHealthy » May 10th, 2006, 6:36 am

If my hubby tried to hide the scale there would be trouble! ;) i really can relate to both sides. I weigh every morning totally naked of course. if I happen to still have my socks on I MUST take them off too... Oh...and any jewelry of course ;) I do sometimes get depressed about the number but I try not too. I have to know where I'm at though.
Linda
2BHealthy

Next

Return to The Weight Room