Question

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Question

Postby Laurenlala » February 9th, 2006, 7:44 am

I read a few times that vanilla extract was OK to add to some shakes but I just read the ingredients (It doesnt state grams of carbs or calories) - "Vanilla Bean Extractives in water, Alcohol (35%) and corn syrup" - After reading that, I'm thinking that maybe it Isn't OK - Does anyone know?

Also, I have been unable to find the Walden Farms Products - Does anyone know a chain of stores in the Northeast (CT in particular) that carries the line? Or should I just order some thing on their website? If yes, what products do you recommend?

I'm working hard to get past my plateau so I definately don't want to do anything wrong.

thanks
Laurenlala

Postby stelar » February 9th, 2006, 7:54 am

Hi Laurenlala,
Don't give up! Stick to it! Your plateau is your bodies way of adjusting & you WILL break through! You can do this, I believe in you!

As for Walden Farms, :idontknow: :aarggh: I'm no help there, tee-hee. I went to the website for the first time yesterday. I never heard of them before MF. Sorry, but I'll pay attention to the rest of these posts to get advice too.

Shake it!
Stela
SD 01/18/06
199/183.5/135
stelar
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby falisamarie » February 9th, 2006, 8:23 am

Thanks for the tip on the vanilla extract :secret: I am not sure of the answer but I am paranoid so I think I will stay away from it for now until I hear from some of the masters on if it is ok. I have found Walden Farms at Albertsons. I personally recommend the 1000 Island dressing cause it taste just like the regular and I liked the bacon one too but it took some time for my taste buds to adjust to it. I also use their seafood sauce and bbq sauce and I personally like it. They have a wide variety though so pick some of your favorites and enjoy!!

Keep shakin

Lisa :rose:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Walden Farms Products

Postby Data_Diva » February 9th, 2006, 8:55 am

Hi Laurenlala,

I can say that Walden Farms makes some wonderfull products. I co-owned a low carb store when I lived in Denver and we carried their entire line. Granted some tasted better than others. I can personally vouch for the BBQ sauce (loved the stuff). If you order directly from them the shipping can be a little pricey. They do make products that contain fat so you want to make sure you are picking up the correct products. Another thing I like is to take their marshmallow dip and partially freeze it then bake 2 large oatmeal cookies from one packet of Medifast and make myself a pseudo oatmeal cookie sandwich. For people on maintenance I can direct all of you folks to a bakery that makes a wonderfull lowfat, very low calorie cake roll that comes in many good flavors like pumpkin, chocolate, etc. Anyone can send me a PM for links to good distrubotors of Walden Farms.

Cheers,

Nicohle
Data_Diva
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » February 9th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I've found Walden Farms stuff at Price Chopper and Stop & Shop... usually near the 'gourmet' salad dressings that are stocked right next to the salad wall... not with the aisle of dressings :)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » February 9th, 2006, 1:35 pm

As for the extract, I'm no expert but ... you're not drinking a whole bottle of it, are you? A few drops here and there added to shakes and such should be fine.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Laurenlala » February 9th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone - Nope - Not drinking it.....not even drinking anything but water :( - But I've been on a plateau so I'm triple checking everything & when I read that the vanilla extract had corn syrup - I was surprised and a bit concerned :shock: - I guess when in doubt, I could do without!

I've looked in S&S for the Walden Farms but not in the right area - I will look next time I go because Now I can't wait to try it after all the good things everyone said about it.
Laurenlala

Postby Dayna » February 9th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Check out different vanilla extracts at the store. My extract (Flavorganics Pure Vanilla Extract) has distilled water, organic alcohol (35%), and vanilla bean extractives. I wonder if the corn syrup is the difference between "imitation" and "pure"? :idontknow: But there are vanilla extract options without corn syrup available. :-D

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby DogMa » February 9th, 2006, 4:13 pm

My extract is the real thing and it has corn syrup, too. Then again, some Medifast products have high fructose corn syrup, which was a major source of concern for me in the beginning (I'm still not thrilled about it).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Dayna » February 9th, 2006, 4:17 pm

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one looking at the high fructose corn syrup in some of the Medifast products with a raised eyebrow. Hasn't there been all sorts of stuff out there about how very bad it is?
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Nicki » February 9th, 2006, 8:36 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I emailed the nice folks at Walden Farms for a list of stores in my area and they were kind enough to respond within a few hours.
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby sidrah » February 9th, 2006, 9:15 pm

You might prefer vanilla SF syrup instead. I just use clear vanilla I buy in Mexico and I don'tworry about it. Pure vanilla will have some sugar in it unless you buy vanilla beans.

What you can do is: Buy splenda in pound bags and slice open and insert vanilla beans and make vanilla splenda. I do it for baking with real sugar, but it is not worth my time to do it with Splenda since I add in the bottled vanilla
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to The Weight Room