A question about friendship

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

A question about friendship

Postby nostoppingme » April 27th, 2006, 3:05 am

I have been best friends with the same person for years. I have always been the "fat"one, she has always been the "thin" one.
I wonder, will our friendship change when I'm not the "fat" one anymore?
There is no question she loves me dearly, that I know. But, she has made comments that get under my skin a little. Like, when I tell her what my goal weight is - she'll say "what? That's what I weigh, I think you would look great at 145-150"
Now - keep in mind she is TALLER than me. Why shouldn't I weigh what she weighs, or less?
Makes me wonder - has anyone out there seen a change in their friends, once the weight really started coming off?

-no stopping me!!
start 4/21/06
239/239/139 - I weigh tomorrow!!!
nostoppingme
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby BoPeep1 » April 27th, 2006, 3:12 am

I think it's all going to depend on how strong the friendship is. She's gonna be upset that you weigh the same (even if she doesn't say that outwardly, she'll probably act a bit different) and you'll be upset that she's acting like that. If you're both mature, it will resolve itself in time.

I had this same situation, but I was only about 21 and the friendship didn't survive. But I also got a lot more friends and partied more, whereas she was married and stayed home with her husband while I went out.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 27th, 2006, 4:16 am

I have not had this happen to me, but I can definitely imagine that it could happen. Hope things even out for you.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby falisamarie » April 27th, 2006, 5:53 am

I am blessed to have two best friends and both are cousins of mine. One is overweight the other one is really thin. They have both been very supportive of me and both are two of my biggest encouragers. I guess it boils down to is she a TRUE friend. A true friend will love you no matter what you weigh or what you do.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » April 27th, 2006, 6:45 am

If the two of you are as close as you feel you are, then you should be able to discuss this with her. Let her know that it hurts and feels like she doesn't want you to be as thin as her. Perhaps she's saying those things without thinking or even feels she is being supportive...ya know, by saying you don't need to weigh what she weighs she may feel like she is telling you that you are beautiful the way you are. Or perhaps you are picking up on some jealousy she may have if you were to be as slim as she. Either way, hopefully your friendship is strong enough to reach an understanding and you won't have to carry around "what is she really thinking?" with you through your entire journey :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room