Purging!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Purging!

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 11:51 pm

I have questions on throwing up How dose it effect your weit loss on MF? Does it help you loos faster? Or does it slow you down? For example if you fallow the plan all day and screw up at one nite and make yurself threw it up will that fix the problem? Will you still loos weit that day?

Purging

Postby Jan » January 7th, 2006, 12:18 am

I certainly hope you are kidding about this. If not please rethink your idea--never never purge!! It causes many many problems. Some of the physical ones are tooth decay, esophogeal problems (which may in extreme cases lead to cancer) stomach problems etc. I'm not even going to talk about the psychological implications. If this is a real problem for you, you need professional help this is not a problem which one can easily overcome on their own.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » January 7th, 2006, 2:42 am

This Forum is designed to provide support for people using Medifast products and programs and not for dangerous forms of weight loss such as you suggest.

Purposely vomiting or using laxatives for weight loss is something I consider to be very dangerous.

Thousands of people die every year from eating disorders. Many of us who are overweight struggle with emotional pain that often results when we try to use food to comfort us or to help us cope with issues that seem beyond us.

Purging is an eating disorder and we are not qualified to help people with bulimia or anorexia.

People can recover from eating disorders; it takes a long time and hard work but it is possible! Please seek counseling or a therapist; there is no shame in doing so.

We wish you well ~
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Re: Purging!

Postby BerkshireGrl » January 7th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:I have questions on throwing up How dose it effect your weit loss on MF? Does it help you loos faster? Or does it slow you down? For example if you fallow the plan all day and screw up at one nite and make yurself threw it up will that fix the problem? Will you still loos weit that day?

Speaking as a person in active therapy for this very problem, I STRONGLY ask you not to purge!

It is so bad for you! You might not think so at first, since it seems a guilt-free way to eat whatever you want, and not pay for it with weight gain, but throwing up does a number on your body and mind.

First of all, it reinforces the bingeing as a habit. Not a good thing!

It erodes your teeth, yes, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Having stomach acid rush up your throat irritates it, to the point where if you do it often enough, it can cause cellular changes that lead to CANCER, or actually tear the tissue of your esophagus which can kill through internal bleeding. Or you can imbalance your electrolytes - which help control muscle contraction and heart beats - and die from a heart attack.

Terrible idea all the way around!

Stomach acid contains hydrochloric acid... remember that from high school chemistry? Now imagine drinking some.

From "How Stuff Works":
"Parietal cells produce hydrochloric acid, a strong acid that helps to break down food. The acid in your stomach is so concentrated that if you were to place a drop on a piece of wood, it would eat right through it.
The stomach is protected by the epithelial cells, which produce and secrete a bicarbonate-rich solution that coats the mucosa. Bicarbonate is alkaline, a base, and neutralizes the acid secreted by the parietal cells, producing water in the process. This continuous supply of bicarbonate is the main way that your stomach protects itself from autodigestion (the stomach digesting itself) and the overall acidic environment. "

Unfortunately your throat doesn't do this.

You would be MUCH better off just using MF as it is written! If you do fall off the program, it happens! Just accept you screwed up one night and start fresh the next day. It is not a disaster to warrant purposefully vomiting... which will lead you down a dark path that is very, very tough to get off. Trust me, I know. I've been in counseling since October and I believe I am getting better but there are many who do not... it can take over your life and make you miserable.

If you haven't started bingeing and purging, DON'T START. If you have, my best wishes and please seek counseling! It can truly help.

A very good place to start your search is "Something Fishy" - a pro-recovery website full of information, forums, and referrals.
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » January 8th, 2006, 2:24 am

Thank you, Dear dear Berk!

Yes. It is NOT a good thing to purge.

We are deeply grateful that you are gettin' healthy and happy.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.