others like me?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

others like me?

Postby in4apenny » August 7th, 2005, 11:15 am

hi all,
here's my story...i'm a fit, 39-yr-old. i'm 5'4.5", and my start weight 13 days ago was 140 pounds. i want to lose 20 pounds, plus a few more for good measure.

i know this might sound like an easy goal, but it's all relative, i guess, so please stick with me...

it occured to me a few weeks ago that i have always been on a diet. always. i'm constantly trying to lose those 5 or 10 pounds. i actually bow out of many social occasions for fear that i will be viewed as "odd" if i don't eat or drink. i'll starve myself on some crazy, made-up plan all week, then eat a bag of cheetos while watching a movie.

bottom line, the 5 vanity pounds that i wanted to lose 10 years ago turned into 10. then they turned into 20. get the pattern?! so i decided that medifast would be a great way for me to "wipe the slate clean," i.e. get rid of the bad habits, lose what i want to lose, and get myself to a place where i can look at the eating/dieting/health a little more rationally and realsitically. a do-over.

are there others like me?

or anyone with insight into how this feels?

i just read a posting from a member who is worried about failing with more than 70 pounds to lose. i worry about failing too. i lost 7.5 pounds my first week, and i weigh again tomorrow. i can't believe how scared i am - actually nervous - to find out how much, if any, additional weight i've lost. i'm very compliant to the program, but i'm still scared...

i'm in the game now, and am grateful to have this site for feedback.
thanks in advance for any advice,
in for a penny
in4apenny

20 pounds to lose

Postby Jan » August 7th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Hi In4apenny
Yes there are many like you who use the Medifast products. The whole key for you is to realize it has to be a lifestyle change or ... you'll be right back to where you were. Once in a while when you've reached the maintenance stage you can eat something like on thse special occassions or just because. But not just day after day. The food choices are up to you. Have you heard of the BE SLIM philosophy?? -- well, that's ours. To keep weight off after you've lost what you desire you Eat Breakfast every day, Exercise, use Support Systems, eat LOW fat meals (small ones) 5 - 6 times every day, have an Individual plan -- proper meal planning and developing skills you need to avoid those porky things and lastly Monitor your weight. This means weighing yourself on a planned shcedule -- once a week or so. If you see the scale going up then be Careful. Most people include 2 -3 Medifast meal replacements eveyday to help them eat the 5 - 6 small low fat meals.
It's up to you -- if you have a plan -- you can maintain your weight. If you just go back to old habits well ... back the weight comes too. I know M.F. will get it off of you and then you need to keep it off.
:mrgreen:
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby missye » August 7th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Aloha, Penny.

I am just like you. I started two weeks ago to drop those ever creeping up pounds. I am 32 and 5'3" and have lost 8 pounds so far. I want to be back down to those 120's (that when I was in my twenties I thought was too big)!

I've been dieting (except when pregnant) for about 5 years now, and I'll do "okay" but then really blow it a social gatherings. Even my buds, who are also life dieters, would pressure me to "just have one drink" or "aw, it's the weekend, just cheat one time" and then before you know it, we're all giving each other permission to cheat. I've now laid down the law and told my chicas that I will not cheat and won't let them either!

I've been hanging out here at this forum since the day I started two weeks ago. It's very inspiring, informational and fun. They teach you here (and in Medifast in general) that we're not dieting, we're changing the way we treat food. I was worried about "okay, I lost it, now what do I do??" But I've found that MF has a great transition plan.

I think you'll like it. There are a few tricks on the site on how to curb your hunger and how to "spice up" the food.

Have fun and I'll see ya later, at the bikini party.

-K-
Kate
Started: 22 July 2005

missye
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby martha » August 7th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Hi In4apenny-

WELCOME!! and yes we all have our own battles to fight with our weight..I don't care if it's 10# or a 100#--it's still a constant struggle to each of us.. Your 20# to you is just like my 130# to me.. You have done great the 1st week. I know you have done just as good this week too. I remember when I had only 20# to lose --It was just as upsetting to me then as it is now--and yes just like you I have watched my weight go up and up and up till now..Pat yourself on the back for doing something about it now instead of letting it go up to 50# or more..If you are compliant you will lose with this program..Have a great weigh in tomorrow--and again WELCOME!!--Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Walks262 » August 8th, 2005, 5:29 pm

Penny,

Welcome! You have come to the right place and with a wonderful plan. I wish I had come to Medifast when I only had 20 to lose. (I bet I am not alone in that wish.)

In every other diet over the years (and years), I would get to a certain point and never any farther. Most often it was because I got fustrated with the diet and slipped into old ways; other times it was because I let all kinds of life events distract me and pull me "off track." Sometimes, I even declared victory because I had lost a lot weight and looked great, but it was always a bit of a hollow victory because I knew that I could/should lose more to be really trim (or even slim!).

Right now I am just past a major goal. I am at a HEALTHY BMI (25)(woohooo!). I am at a weight I got down to 8 years ago. I am wearing clothes I haven't worn in years. I am shrinking out of all my clothes. I am wearing clothes in ways I would have never considered possible (tucked in shirts, belted waist, sleeveless tops, etc). DH is so proud of me and excited that we can't go anywhere without him asking everyone: how do you like how she looks? doesn't she look great? My fitness has improved dramatically. I feel wonderful. Everyone says I look fabulous! (I might add that this is tons of fun and terrific payoff.)

So, why don't I declare victory now and go into transition? Because, I know that with a little more work, I can "get it all off!" that is, with Medifast I really believe I can get SLIM and TRIM -- I can lose the last 15 - 20 pounds! (I'm not sure exactly where I should end up; won't know until I get there. Ultimately I may even want to build a little muscle and so gain a little (tiny) bit.) I can melt away some of those bulges I still have.

As you search through this forum and some of its history, you will find people that have used Medifast in just the way that you are. They were sucessful; you can be too.

So, don't be scared. Medifast can get you to where you want to be. I also believe that it can also be a part of plan that you will develop that will allow you to stay there -- not on a perpetual diet, but a controlled lifestyle.

Good Luck! Let us hear about your success. Ask questions; tell us how you are doing.
Walks262

204.5/150/147, then, 142
Walks262
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.