Newbie Intro and Some Questions :)

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Newbie Intro and Some Questions :)

Postby GucciGoo » April 30th, 2006, 6:18 am

Hi all. I am 33 years old, live in NJ, and I am starting Medifast next weekend. I am looking to lose 40 pounds. I would love to lose most of this by my vacation in July. I just had a baby boy 4 months ago, so it has been really hard losing the weight. I go to the gym 4 days a week, burn about 250-350 calories doing cardio, but my diet is crap. I lost 25 pounds the month I came home from the hospital, and nothing since.

Here are my questions:
1. If I burn those 250-350 calories in the gym while on Medifast, is that too much?
2. Do we weight our lean meats before or after cooking them?
3. Is Lipton Decaf Diet Iced Tea acceptable to drink?
4. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Has anyone had trouble with diarrhea or constipation on this diet?
5. How bad are the first 3 days?
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mom23 » April 30th, 2006, 6:37 am

:wave: Welcome BeachBaby! You've come to the best place for support and encouragement! Congratulations on your little boy!

Exercise is great, but Medifast suggests that you don't do anything until you have been on the program for at least 3 weeks, then they say it should not be too strenuous. You may find that you need an extra shake or even the "70" shakes instead of the regular "55" shakes. There is lots of info in your Quick Start guide and also if you read in the Exercise section of this forum... :weightlift:

You weigh your lean meats after cooking. :flip: Typically, meats will "lose weight" in the cooking process.

I'm sure the diet decaf tea is ok to drink, but I'm not sure you should/can count those as your water intake -- I hope someone else here can answer that better for me.

I'm sure one of our other "losers" can answer your IBS question... I have not had any problems, but that's not to say others haven't...

The first 3 days are different for everyone. Some experience headaches or migraines. I had a slight headache on days 2-4, but it was easily remedied with Tylenol. I was also very hungry but used my free snacks to help me along. Now, I rarely use those free snacks. Others here have sailed through those first 3 days. Again, I'm sure our friends will 'weigh in' on their experiences.

You are going to do great -- read the Quick Start booklet that came with your first shipment (study it! :lol: ) and keep it handy for reference. :cheermed:

I can't wait to see your losses as you go along on this journey to Thinville! :drive:
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby falisamarie » April 30th, 2006, 7:02 am

Welcome to the group beachbaby :goteam:

The first 3 days were not too bad for me other than a headache.

You should cut your exercise in half for the first 3 weeks and then slowly build it back up and I agree totally that you may need an extra shakes and/or use the 70 shakes.

The tea would be fine but I personally would not count it as part of my daily water intake.

I have experienced some constipation with Medifast but I know that everyone is different with this so you will probably have to take a wait and see approach.

and all Lean meat is weighed after cooking as you were already told

If you have any other questions just let us know and someone will be here to help

Happy to have you with us

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby deszignerchick » April 30th, 2006, 7:49 am

Welcome Beach Baby!
I have IBS and I have had some issues. My doctor recomended Imodium. Talk to them about it before you start. My 1st week was bad and after that its been okay.I don't need it as much.

Good luck!
Gayle
deszignerchick
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Pashta » April 30th, 2006, 10:43 am

Yes, per Dr. Anderson, the main guy of Medifast, using Crystal Light or other non-calorie drinks is fine and does count toward your daily water intake requirement of 64 ounces. Plain water is preferable, but if it's tough to stomach it's ok to use the flavored stuff. :)

I think I saw someone said their Crohn's Disease (which is worse than IBS) got better on Medifast, so your IBS should be a lot better too. :D

Welcome, and grats on your baby boy, I too had a baby boy six months ago. :mrgreen:
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta

Welcome

Postby Jan » April 30th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Hmmmm
You'll know soon what effect the program will have for you. Some people have quick trips to the potty and others need metamucile -- Either way the problem generally doesn't last toooo long.
Please be careful with the exercise. Cut it by half the first three weeks. Your body needs that much time to adjust to the new caloric intake. Actually exercise can stall your weight loss -- so that knowledge should help keep you out of the gym toooo long. You'll do fine on program. There are no set "rules" for the first three days. Some people experience no problem at all and others struggle. If you feel you are starving an extra shake is just fine. It is balanced and won't hurt you.
Keep posting
I'll keep watching for you
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » April 30th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Welcome to the group, BeachBaby! Looks like you've already received great advice. Jump right in and get going. Soon you'll be 40 lbs lighter.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » April 30th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Welcome BeachBaby! Glad you're here :) I can't really add anything to the answers you received, so again, WELCOME :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Becky » April 30th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Hi BeachBaby--welcome to the forum! Everyone has posted great answers to your questions, but I wanted to say hello & congratulations on that little boy. My first baby is 10 months old & I started back on the program in January--almost 17 weeks ago. I have lost 47 pounds & have 4 more pounds to go til i have all that baby weight off! You're on a great program & you'll be at your goal in no time... and having fun in the sun on your trip!
Becky (Pettit) Renfro
Certified Health Advisor
Becky
Trusted Member - #70 Club

Postby mamabear » April 30th, 2006, 6:41 pm

:wave: Welcome!!! The first 3 days for me were not bad at all! Good Luck! :yay:
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby MISSANNE » April 30th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Welcome :wave:
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby GucciGoo » May 1st, 2006, 11:55 am

Thanks for all the quick responses. You seem to be a very supportive group :)
I plan on taking off on Friday, and doing nothing all weekend but focusing on Medifast. This way, if I have any adverse reaction to it, I will be at home. Hopefully by Monday I will have survived the hardest part and will be able to continue the plan at work.
I also plan on cutting my workout to 20 minutes on the stepper machine, 3 days per week, and doing only light weights. At least for the first 3-4 weeks until I know my limits.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 1st, 2006, 12:03 pm

Hi BeachBaby!

I just wanted to add my welcome and say congrats on your new bambino!

You got some great advice! Read the quick start guide thoroughly, it's our guiding light!

I'd talk to your doc about the IBS. I have one friend on MF who has IBS and hasn't had any problems, but that's one person. I'm glad you're taking it easy your first couple of days, that's great!

Definitely cut your workouts in 1/2 for the first few weeks and DON'T BE AFRAID to add a shake or go to the 70 shakes.

You'll do GREAT and I'm SO glad you're shaking with us!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Shana » May 1st, 2006, 12:17 pm

welcome to the group - I know you're going to do GREAT!
I have IBS (really severe) and while I have not had any problems with it using Medifast, I had a massive flareup last night after going OFF plan - I spent the entire night and part of the morning wishing I could go back and undo the decision to eat off plan.
But, just as each person is unique, so is their reaction to foods, particularly when there is a digestive issue like IBS or Crohns - while Medifast works great for me & doesn't cause any IBS problems, that may not be the case for you, so you might want to check with your gastrointerologist if you experience any problems :)
Again, welcome!

Start Date: Thursday April 6th, 2006
Age 27
Height 5'2 (and 1/4, thank you very much!)
Shana
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to Come on in.