New

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

No Man's Land

Postby melon1989 » April 9th, 2006, 4:58 pm

I'm 22, and I was put on Medifast by my doctor due to poor nutrition, high sugar and a general malaise. I am overweight, not by a lot, but enough to put a damper on my activity. While I never consumed a significant amount of food or any junk food, I could never lose weight and felt bloated, uncomfortable all the time, getting tired very easily, having digestion and bowl movement problems as well as fevers. I'm also an asthmatic and due to the high sugar levels, am borderline type I diabetes with hypoglycemic symptoms.

I started the Medifast diet in December and due to low protein levels, I added protein powder to my shakes. I lost the bloated look and my clothes started feeling really loose, but I didnt lose any weight. I stayed the same. By and by I started getting really shakey with fevers and would devour a box of the medifast bars then go to sleep. After getting the "Success in a Shaker Jar" book, I realized the extra protein was probably causing the shakes and stopped adding using it. Then my brain went back to being really foggy and disjointed, until I read in the book that a little extra salt helps with that. Salt, what a miracle. I felt more alive than I ever have. I study philosophy so a clear conscise active brain is key for my studies.

But then, about a week later this was about 3 weeks ago, I got really bloated. I lost about 5 pounds, but have stayed the same since then. I took some laxatives and it eventually passed but I still have trouble with it. It throws me off my diet with the intense bloating and nothing getting through. I've been drinking pepperment tea as well as taking stool softeners before sleep. The fiber drinks didnt help as it was too much fiber on top of the lean and green meal.

I fell off the diet, eating more of those crackers and bars as my brain gets hungry because of hypoglycemia, but then i get bloated. It's a viscious viscious cycle with fevers and bloating going into ketosis and then it evens out afterwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
melon1989

Postby falisamarie » April 9th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Welcome to the family!

I am no doctor but perhaps for the bloating (which may be gas related) try some SF antacids. As for the "other" problem maybe you could try a mild natural laxative once a week or when needed I use Senekot and it works great. Also sometimes upping you water intake and some light exercise helps to get things moving again.

I am sure others will be along with some more suggestions but my main advice is to hang in there and stick to the program 100% it will work!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Pashta » April 9th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Hi and welcome! Maybe you should talk to your doctor about what could be causing the bloating, and how about not eating a whole box of food at once? ;) You said you never overate, yet you seriously overeat on Medifast?

Do you have any mental reservations on losing weight? It sounds like there is some underlying problem. Do you have a counselor or a psychologist you can talk to?
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 10th, 2006, 3:03 pm

melon1989 ... I recommend you have a chat with your MD. IF he/sh advised you to be on this diet then he/she probably is very well versed with the complex physiological processes that take place when your body switches it metabolic pathways. Definitely call your doc!

:goodluck:
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.