New to medifast -- HELP

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

New to medifast -- HELP

Postby doreenq » May 11th, 2005, 6:44 am

:exercise: Hi everyone, this is a great forum so far ! I've read alot of fun stuff.... I started last Friday 5/6 and I feel great.... however, going into PMS week, the scale wasnt moving, so I ran out & bought a new digital scale.... not budging too much ... Im doing the 5 & 1 Im hoping once this visitor is over I'll see a loss..... Ive been on Nutri system for 10 weeks 0 loss..... then on to LA Wt Loss.... 2 lbs in 2 months.. how depressing... Im a diet pepsi and iced coffee aholic.. Im wondering if these could be keeping me from losing ???? Has anyone had this problem ?? Perhaps I'll ee a big drop .... :shock: I pray I do.... I have 50 lbs to lose... 10 would be a great start !!! HELP !!! [/quote]
doreenq

Re: New to medifast -- HELP

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2005, 6:46 am

doreenq wrote::exercise: Hi everyone, this is a great forum so far ! I've read alot of fun stuff.... I started last Friday 5/6 and I feel great.... however, going into PMS week, the scale wasnt moving, so I ran out & bought a new digital scale.... not budging too much ... Im doing the 5 & 1 Im hoping once this visitor is over I'll see a loss..... Ive been on Nutri system for 10 weeks 0 loss..... then on to LA Wt Loss.... 2 lbs in 2 months.. how depressing... Im a diet pepsi and iced coffee aholic.. Im wondering if these could be keeping me from losing ???? Has anyone had this problem ?? Perhaps I'll see a big drop .... :shock: I pray I do.... I have 50 lbs to lose... 10 would be a great start !!! HELP !!!
:eat:

Postby fatBgone » May 11th, 2005, 7:10 am

Hi doreenq,
Welcome & sorry you're having no loss as of yet. Are you drinking lots (and lots) of water? I am (or I should say WAS) a diet coke aholic prior to doing Medifast. I am so used to drinking water that now I can't stand the sugary, syrupy taste of the diet coke anymore....and I've been drinking diet coke for about 20-25 years!!

I'm sure that since your experiencing PMS that you might be retaining some water....but I also wondered since you mentioned the other 2 diets that you've tried without losing alot - have you ever had your thyroid checked? Your metabolism might be so slow that it's not letting go of your weight & if you are hypothyroid, then you would need medication.
(just a thought???)

I'm sure that you'll see a loss with Medifast. I've tried other diets too (most recently LA Weight Loss) and had very little success. This program is so easy to follow and I've been thrilled with my results so far. I actually increased my goal so that I would lose more than what I originally wanted because I think it's doable - for once!! Well - good luck & keep us posted on your progress!!! It'll happen!!!
Lisa
fatBgone
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby doreenq » May 11th, 2005, 7:20 am

Hi Lisa, I forgot to mention the Thyroid !! I've been to Drs endocrinologist.... so far they say its normal.. I was on thyroid medicine last year to see if it would help, it was borderline/normal / low... I gained 15 lbs last year trying to lose !! :oops: I lost 30 lbs 3 yrs ago, but it seemed to creep back on after a foot surgery... during which time I was still on a low carb / 1200 calorie diet ! working out a little... I think my metabolism is dead, went South ... hit the road ! So Im forgetting the failures and really going into Medifast believing that this will work !

Alot of the Nutri sytem food is loaded with salt, and alot of carbs... la wt loss, their bars are loaded with carbs... they may not be what works for me...

Im drinking 3 litres of water a day... maybe I need more !!!
doreenq

Postby armeewyf » May 11th, 2005, 8:21 am

I am a diet coke-aholic too...I have tried very hard not to drink so much on this diet. I think I have done well. I have been drinking caffeine free diet coke and diet sprite and diet RC and sug free coolaid to try to get away from the caffeine in dc. I hear there is a new one with Splenda, not one here in WV yet. I still have dc in the a.m. and try not to have any more till a glass at dinner. I don't drink coffee so its my only jumpstart! And probably the worst bad habit I have, food-wise. Filling up on the water does help too. I drink at least 64 oz a day, usually 80-100. My goal for the next month is 100 everyday. I DO think dc slows you down-its a water retainer...just my thoughts.

recovering dietcokeaholic...
Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby doreenq » May 11th, 2005, 8:34 am

hi LeeAnn, thanks for the info ! I agree, they thought I was bad my 1st few days, including pms ? they havent seen nothing yet !!! I think Im going to go cold turkey, on the coffee & dc !! They ought to send me off to a deserted island !! after I rid myself of that.... they'll be no more excuses ! :shock: :pigsfly:
doreenq

Not losing weight

Postby Jan » May 11th, 2005, 9:37 am

Hi there
So the weight isn't leaving :x :x I would suggest making it thru your monthly woes, staying OFF the scale, and keep on doing the M.F. It WILL WORK -- just sometimes not as quickly as we would like it to. Weight loss is a personal thing we all lose at our own rate (personally I'd like to go to bed and wake up 50 lbs lighter :D I'm sure thats how these 50 lbs jumped on me -- overnight!!) I'm not sure of the effect of the diet coke and the coffee -- both are stimulants. Plus many diet drinks are loaded with sodium -- but that shouldn't be too much of a problem on M.F. I do know that drinking too many carbonated beverages can make us not as efficient -- the CO2 grabs onto our 02 molecules -- not sure if this would affect weight loss . If you cold turkey both the diet coke and the coffee you WILL have a monster of a headache that's almost a guarantee :( :( :x :x Keep doing the M.F. You can do it -- and so Can I
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby doreenq » May 11th, 2005, 10:03 am

:yay: Great advice you all are great here ! I'll keep yall posted !!
Doreen
doreenq

Postby dlr2424 » May 11th, 2005, 3:54 pm

Dorren.......Welcome!!!!!!!!!............ :wavie: ........how discouraging.....
:( .......Nutri system and LA weight loss..........but if you want my 2 cents worth I would suggest... :bigidea: ...writing a diary of everything that goes into that little mouth.........first drop the coffee..... :whip: ....then when you adjust........drop the diet soda...... :lightbeam: ......diet soda is terrible at retaining fluids...........I would have at least 80 ozs of water and follow the MF to a tea........try this for 1 to 2 weeks and see if you notice a change...........my body is very sensitive to carbs........... I am on the complete plan and I even choose the lower carb MF meal replacements..... :rollrolleyes: .......but it works for me.......your loss may be slow...don't give up..... :no: .....if your discouraged come and vent here...... :x ......the people are amazing........ :yes: ......looking forward to sharing this journey with you!!!!
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2005, 5:29 am

Hello everyone ! Wow... down 5 lbs so far.... ! feeling fabulous !!!
:D Im getting used to this by now !! Im on day 10.

Postby Tk » May 16th, 2005, 8:54 am

Dorrenq;

I have been on other diets also and have not had any success. I've tried another shake type diet (not slimfast) and after a month on that I gianed 15 lbs. I had my thyroid taken out 4 years ago, talk about a dead thyroid!!! Anyways, My first week on medifast I lost only 1/2 lbs. I was very discouraged. But with the encouragement with the people on this forum, I continued the program. This week I dropped 5lbs. It's gonna be a slow go for me because I don't have a thyroid - that is your metabolism central. Once piece of advise on your endochronologist, if you still don't feel well, find another Dr. I went to 5 diffrrent ones to finally be diagoist!!! Keep up the program. One thing I found out - I can't have pickles, it makes me swell like a water ballon. I have extreme edema because of my thyroid dieses. Good luck and you can send me a private message if you have any questions regarding your thyroid!!

ps,
I have 100 lbs to lose, but I have broken down my goals to smaller amounts. My first goal is to lose 10 lbs., then 20 lbs, then 30 lbs and so on. Looking at smaller goals helps you keep on chugging along.
Tk
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby DonicaB » May 16th, 2005, 2:02 pm

Doreenq~~I have pretty much stopped drinking diet sodas.......actually I have pretty much stopped drinking anything except water. Occassionally I add a Crystal Light packet (the single pack ones) to my bottled water. I find I retain less water if I just stick to water. :shock: Did that make any sense? :dunno:

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

HELLO ALL - THIS IS MY FIRST DAY

Postby Lesi in Pa » May 16th, 2005, 2:33 pm

HELLO!!!!!!!!! THIS IS MY FIRST DAY ON THIS PROGRAM!!!!!!!!
I CURRENTLY WEIGH 323 LBS AND THIS IS MY LAST TRY BEFORE WLS....

IVE BEEN ON ALL KINDS OF DIETS AND JUST CANT SEEM TO BEAT THIS THING ANYMORE...

WOULD LOVE SOME SUPPORT ........ IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO TALK.. YOU CAN EMAIL ME..

THIS SITE IS THE REASON .......I HAVE TRIED THIS LAST RESORT TO THE WLS.........

LES
Have a great day
Leslie
Lesi in Pa
First Post

Postby DonicaB » May 16th, 2005, 2:56 pm

Leslie~~I'm glad you have decided to begin your Medifast journey. If you will commit to do this and I mean really do this.......you will lose weight.

I heard someone say on this forum recently to set small goals. For example.....don't look at how much you have to lose as a whole because that could get discouraging. Instead.....set goals in 25# increments......that will seem so much more doable.

WLS is not the answer. I know of a lady who did get WLS......and she has had nothing but health problems since. She had her surgery almost 3 years ago and has gained a good deal of her weight back. The problem is she didn't learned to eat properly. Over time she was able to eat more and more until she was right back to eating like she did before the surgery.

I'm sure there are others on the forum who can give you more medical reasons for NOT having the surgery.

Give MF a chance.......it will work.......if you follow the plan.....you will lose the weight.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby LuzInIt » May 16th, 2005, 3:01 pm

Hi - I started on Medifast on 3/22/05 at 328 pounds. To date, I have lost 40 pounds (56 days into the program). I would not have considered weight loss surgery; it's just too drastic for me. Every week that goes by, I get more motivated, more sure of complete success. I am 54,a diabetic, hypothyroid, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and have mild congestive heart failure. I also have been told I have fibromyalgia (jury's still out on that one, in my mind). Since day one on Medifast, I have been off insulin, and my cholesterol drug has been halved. I got blood work done last week, and see a new endocrinologist this Thursday. I can't wait to see what other great things are going on in my body. This diet is the easiest I have ever done. I love the food and don't miss eating the regular way at all. I do a combination of the complete program and 5/1. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the way I lose weight whether I eat that one lean/green or not. I just wanted to encourage you to give this a serious try. If you faithfully follow the program, you will succeed. For some of us, not having to make any food choices or decisions works best. I have a good friend who went the bypass route. She is doing very well, although did have to have two trips back to the hospital for small complications. The thing is, for the rest of her life, even as a thin person, she will have no control over how she can eat. I'm looking forward to making my goal, and then (because I love being thin so much!), making wise decisions about what goes in my mouth. The forum on Makemethinner will motivate you and support you like crazy. I go on several times a day. I hope you decide to do this. I know you will succeed! Don't forget to check out some of the before and after pix in the "Studio". If you need motivation, it is there. (Be sure to check out Joan Roman, before and after).
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Next

Return to Come on in.