NANCY ........your posts to Zinkette

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby Diana » June 13th, 2006, 3:36 pm

wow, Vicky! Definitely a sobering article. Thanks for posting it!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Serendipity » June 13th, 2006, 3:54 pm

I learned that first hand. Last fall, my dear MIL took a major turn for the worse and although she was getting great care in the nursing home, she needed so much help that I began spending most of my time with her.

One of the things I observed while there over a 6 month period was that the obese patients were so much more dependent on the staff. Some were even pretty much bed ridden because the task of getting them up was just too huge. Several patients required mechanical lifts to be moved. I also noticed that those who were not overweight, were walking on their own much more and were able to visit back and forth between rooms. They were much more social and seemed much happier than those who were confined to their rooms much of the time.

Going there every day really opened my eyes! At the time, I was at my all time high weight. I just had to ask myself if that is how I want to end up. Aging is hard enough as it is. Thankfully, my MIL was never overweight and was relatively easy to move......but my heart went out to all of the ladies and gentlemen who were so infirm because of their size.

This experience was yet another reminder to me that I needed to do something to change the path I was taking.

Go and visit a nursing home and you will see what I mean. It's not pretty.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Wow, what an article!

Both my grand mummies are little teeny things, but it makes A LOT of sense! Between our children having an epidemic of obesity AND our elderly having the same...I hope the WHOLE WORLD finds MF!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jump4joy » June 13th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Thanks Vicky....scary AND sobering article. At the rate obesity is growing in people of all ages, the world needs a wake-up call!!!

Joy :rose:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby falisamarie » June 13th, 2006, 5:28 pm

I just wanted to say thanks Vicky, you are always so uplifting caring and helpful!

You are the best

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 13th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Obesity is a huge problem, just like the article stated. Having to lift and maneuver patients is a very difficult task and one of the major reasons why I'm leaving bedside nursing and heading to the administration side of things. I'm only 38 and my back is really suffering.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 15th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Vicky,

Thanks for the positive comments. I do really hate to leave the patient care side of things, but I've really got no choice. A few months ago, I really pulled a muscle in my lower back and couldn't even walk upright. This was secondary to assisting a patient with bodily functions and my management team was not sympathetic at all. I had notes from three different MD's stating that I needed light duty or my back would never heal. My management team would not provide light duty work and I was told to either show up and do the job or call in sick. I ended up calling in sick for a few days but then was threatened with corrective action so I went back to work, against my better judgment. It took months for my back to heal and it's still pretty weak. I've got many years of work before retirement so I can't risk my own personal health. I decided that I needed to move to the other side of the fence and see if I can effect change for front-line healthcare personnel.

I do have one job offer pending, but it's not really my dream job. I have two more interview sequences to complete next week and then I'm going to accept one of them. One of the last two IS my dream job and I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get it. Please send good vibes my way for next Wednesday June 21st!!!
Arklahoma

Postby Arklahoma » June 16th, 2006, 11:37 am

Vicky ~ Nursing is a very unique profession in the respect that we have a large number of licensed professionals that are not currently practicing as nurses simply because of poor workplace conditions. This is a trend that has to stop and I'm hoping to make a difference in my small part of the world.

Thanks for the + vibes!!!
Arklahoma

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » June 16th, 2006, 2:23 pm

i think that has alot to do with me definitely not wanting children til i am in a healthier shape and have adopted a healthy active lifestyle. i want my kids to be active and healthy
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room