Mexican Food?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Mexican Food?

Postby Finally_Losing » July 17th, 2006, 7:16 am

We are having ALOT of lunches out at work in the next few weeks and their restaurant of choice is you guessed it, mexican. I love it, but that was pre-Medifast and I've avoided this far. I have to decide what I'm getting before I go in or I'll cave. My question is, what can you eat at a mexican rest? I know the beans, cheese, etc is out. The fajita meat and vegetables is good but its's in lots of oil and no way there is a full "green" serving....If I can't come up with something, I'll be decling the invites.....and stay here and have my MF :)

Amy
Finally_Losing
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Sarya » July 17th, 2006, 7:23 am

You may be able to ask for extra veggies in the fajita. Some mexican restaurants also have meals made with chicken breasts or steak. You could also look into a salad with grilled chicken.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Janae » July 17th, 2006, 7:32 am

Locally, I can get a chicken fajita salad...I ask them to prepare it by grilling the fajita things with no oil. It comes with several types of lettuce, and then the chicken, onion and green pepper is grilled and put on top. I usually also have a bit of pico de gallo (chopped tomatoe, onion, a little jalapeno and cilantro) or their homemade salsa...which has no sugar.

They have been very accomodating to prepare the meat without added fat and it seems to give me an appropriate L & G..and is delicious. I do have to resist those warm chips and salsa. If that is too hard...perhaps a pack of soy chips while you wait for your meal??)

Hope you don't decide to stay at the office but will join in the fun and fellowship!!! Happy Eating on plan!
Janae
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Diana » July 17th, 2006, 8:34 am

We opt for the stripped down chicken somethingerother salad here, too.

I know it's really awkward the first time -- have you considered taking your MF with you??

If you put a full cup of water in the chili, it approximates tortilla soup (without the tortillas). I usually add chili flakes and garlic, perhaps a little salt, too. DH adds cumin, chili powder, garlic. MF crackers instead of chips (if you've got 'em) and you can even dip 'em in the salsa. And a diet soda or tea -- you're set!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 17th, 2006, 9:21 am

I've ordered the bbq'd shrimp and a side salad, but you could also ask for a soup mug of hot water and have a soup instead.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Finally_Losing » July 17th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I checked the menu, it's online....They don't specifically have a grilled chicken breast but they have these 3 salads, do any of them sound ok? (I know to order without cheese)

Tommy's Salad:
Lettuce topped with tasty grilled chicken, beef, shrimp, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese & sliced jalapenos. Surrounded by peeled and sliced cucumbers.

Paco Salad:
Lettuce topped with a healthy portion of grilled chicken, shrimp, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Surrounded by peeled and sliced cucumbers.

Stefanie's Salad
Lettuce topped with grilled beef, spicy shrimp, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Surrounded with peeled and sliced cucumbers.
Finally_Losing
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » July 17th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Those look pretty good. Just be aware that the cheeses are typically not low or nonfat... but it shouldn't do you too bad if its just once.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » July 17th, 2006, 2:33 pm

I either ask for extra veggies on the fajitas, or I try to go to places that have veggie fajitas so I can have half an half. (Or my new favorite place has a side order of veggies you can just add to the fajitas, so when I was there last week I had steak and the usual veggies, plus zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and broccoli. A little extra fat, but not bad. ... And my friend, who's not on any plan, said that next time she's getting the extra veggies, too, because they looked so good!!)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room