Meltdown & Recovery

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Meltdown & Recovery

Postby LuzInIt » September 30th, 2005, 5:40 am

Half-way through week 26, with 84 pounds gone, and I blew it for the first time. Last week was incredibly stressful - not bad stress - just way too much to do. My family was planning an 80th birthday celebration for my father-in-law. He found out about 5 months ago his prostate cancer had spread to his bones in three spots... the prognosis isn't good. He decided he wanted his entire family with him at church on his birthday (many in other churches or areas), and a party afterward for about 150 people - an opportunity for him to say goodbye to many. Besides doing much of the purchasing and planning with my daughters (being my own boss, I have a bit more freedom during the day than the rest of the family), I was also scheduled to attend a Friday and Saturday conference in Albany NY, about 5 hours from home. Just leaving my business for a day can be quite a chore. I MF'd well on Friday until back in our hotel rooms (traveled with 6 other women). I've never taken food with us when we travel and I was not prepared for what went on in that hotel room :shock: . Out comes 8 pounds of jumbo shrimp, slabs of cheese & crackers, zucchini bread with cream cheese, brownies, nachos and dips,
etc. I started cranking my little blender in desperation, making MF smoothies and passing them around for the group to taste-test; everyone agreed they were delicious. But I soon lost my resolve and ended up sitting on the floor (not a possibility 6 months ago) in front of the makeshift buffet with a pound (?) of shrimp on my plate. Oops number 1. The next morning I rounded up all the Medifood I thought I would need for the day. When I got inside the arena (Pepsi Center), I realized I had taken the wrong bag - Oops #2. I didn't have my bar - I did have three packs of shake, but no shaker jar. I only had one water bottle (to be continually refilled at the fountain because water was $3.50 a bottle). I tried to make a shake but couldn't get the powder inside without dumping half on the floor. I finally gave up and ate the box lunch that was provided, chips & all. Then I had dinner at a wonderful little restaurant on the way home. I am not going to repeat what went into this body, too depressing. We made it home at 2:00 AM, then onto church at 7:00 AM for an early music rehearsal and last minute preparations for the afternoon. Our family (4 sons & wives, & 9 grandkids) did the offertory in honor of George's 80th. And then the party. I did great until everyone left and cleanup began. We had hired the pastry chef from a local country club to make desserts. Suffice it to say I tried one of each of about 8 incredible morsels. I think that is the first sugar to touch these diabetic lips in 6 months.

I have felt incredibly strong since starting Medifast; I think I just wasn't prepared for all the weariness and emotion last week brought. What is incredible about this whole long (sorry, guys) story is that my thinking has profoundly changed over the past months. Even though I got caught up in a bad, bad foodie weekend, I couldn't wait to return to Medifast. I did enjoy all the food I ate, but not as much as I enjoy losing weight :) .
Monday brought such a peace and contentment knowing I was back on plan. Never, ever been a diet like this one for me! A slip-up would have sent me into diet oblivion in my past life. If possible, I feel even more resolve and strength today than when I first began my journey at the end of March. Without a doubt, I will make goal.

Thanks for your listening eyes this morning. I've heard confession is good for the soul. I've almost felt guilty that I haven't had to deal with more temptation then I've been able to bear to date - I now feel part of that very victorious group who have fallen off the wagon, climbed back on and lived to shake another day!
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lisa in NY » September 30th, 2005, 6:10 am

LuzInIt,

I read your post and I think you did the BEST you could under the circumstances. After all, we are still HUMAN! I think the important thing is to accept it, acknowledge that it's in the past, and move on - and it sounds like you already did!

Next time you're in Albany, let me know - I'm about 15 minutes from the Pepsi Arena!

Lisa
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby betz » September 30th, 2005, 6:25 am

luzinit, you've accomplished SO much in comparison to this slip. Even better, you're back on your way again. Good for you!

I think the slips we all have serve to teach us how to prepare better next time. Please don't beat yourself up--that's just so sad to me when you've come so far.

Here's to a speedy back-to-ketosis recovery *clinking water glasses*

:D
betz
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Lisa Renee » September 30th, 2005, 6:37 am

Most of all, you know where things went wrong and can possibly avoid that in the future. Whatever you do, do not beat yourself up about it. Move on, and from personal experiece, I happen to know what an excellent person you are. I know you will reach your goal and you are the same inpsirational person you always were!
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby ljm498 » September 30th, 2005, 8:51 am

I might be weird but I look at what happened to you as a positive thing. I know you feel badly about eating, but look what you learned about yourself and your new way of thinking! That's AWESOME that you see now that you can eat and then realize all is certainly not lost. All we have to do is keep our minds in control and reason with ourselves that this was nothing. Think how great your new attitude will be when you hit maintenance.

I know you feel disappointed, I know I would too but it was just such a learning experience for you and now you know you can move on with continued success. Way to get back on track and keep moving on!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Gwenski » September 30th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Talk about falling down, getting up, brushing the dust off and gracefully moving on.

We couldn't have the good without the bad. Sometimes it is the not so positive experiences that teach us the most. Thank you for sharing your experience with us all, it is a gift.

Confession is great because of the release -- it is all in the rearview mirror now, eyes on the road.
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Postby Lisa Renee » September 30th, 2005, 4:58 pm

that was a very well said response. I agree completely.

HUGS

:bighug:
Lisa Renee

Postby Toxsiq » September 30th, 2005, 6:17 pm

Gwenski wrote:- it is all in the rearview mirror now, eyes on the road.

FABULOUS remark...I'll be using that from now on, thankyouverymuch!

xoxo tox
319/314/145

"The control of our being is not unlike the combination to a safe, each advance and retreat is a step toward ones final goal." -Bruce Lee
Toxsiq

Postby martha » October 1st, 2005, 10:33 pm

LINDA--

You are doing MARVELOUS DARLING :mrgreen: You have only had one set-back since March :shock: that is GREAT!!! You are right back on schedule and I know you will be at goal before you even know it..YOU CAN DO THIS and I look forward to seeing you when you get there..
I will add your father-in-law to my prayer list..and I will continue to pray for you too.. I love that you are sitting on the floor too :mrgreen: ..WHAT a GREAT feeling that must be for you..HOORAY for you girl..Keep up the good work and let's cross that finish line to our goals..I'm here for you anytime--Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby TamiL » October 2nd, 2005, 9:39 am

YOUR posts are ALL SO ENCOURAGING!! :-P how lucky we all are to be able to come here and let it all out!! :)

THANK GOD that he led me back here.....this is where its all understood...where we all relate...where it all starts...one shake at a time!! ;)

Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby mama2benandrachel » October 2nd, 2005, 10:42 am

Linda,

Only one slip since March? I pray that I can be as dilligent as you AND that I can pick myself up and keep going as you have. I KNOW I can because I have all of you to support me when I am doing great and when I fall!
Take care and God Bless,
Judy <><

1st MF start: 9/9/2005
1st restart: 10/16/2006
2nd restart: 9/9/2007

mama2benandrachel
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby dlr2424 » October 2nd, 2005, 1:09 pm

Linda............. :hug: :hug: :hug: .............and another one because you deserve it....... :hug: ....I think we all can relate as we have been in similar situations................give yourself a pat on the back for being the special person you are....... :rose: ......

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Mommy2girls » October 4th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Linda, I agree with Judy! ONE SLIP? Oh my gosh! I have not been so diligent as you. Ever since July, I keep going on plan for a while, then derail for weddings (2 of them since July that were entire WEEKENDS filled with FOOD of course) plus vacations, and each time I gain a few lbs, then lose a few, only to be confronted with new challenges. It feels like I am crawling along at the pace of an inch worm, but I know that eventually I will get there! Even though my ticker says I am close to my goal, it is really just my first goal, and when I get there I will be adding about 35 more to my first 55. S-L-O-W-L-Y I will get there.

You on the other hand are doing FABULOUS! Really and truly. I like that we can use oops, mistakes, slipups, whatever you want to call them as TEACHING ourselves how to deal with life after we do reach that goal. I also, like you feel SO much better when using MF as opposed to all real food. Wow, what a thought, that MEDIFAST is OUR comfort food! Yee haw! That is a GOOD thing.

Thank you for sharing (or confessing) your life with us! We can grow and learn from each other!
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room