Just started MF today, and having a hard time....

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Just started MF today, and having a hard time....

Postby Misti2k2 » August 23rd, 2005, 11:31 am

Hi there... started Medifast for my first time today. After reading all of the posts here, I decided to try Medifast as opposed to Nutrisystem. Ive got to say, so far I am struggling and doubting the decision. I have so far eaten 6 bites of the Vanilla Berry Oatmeal (which was bearable.... but I really dont like oatmeal to begin with), the dutch chocolate shake (has a TERRIBLE aftertase that I could only drink 3 big drinks while holding my nose), 2 bites of the minestroni soup (again, didnt taste good, and the vegetables were too hard to even chew), and a bite of the chocolate mint bar (which was terrible). Now I know diet food will not taste as good as regular food, and I am trying to be optimistic... but as things are, I cant see myself lasting very long. I have only eaten a few bites of food all day. I need some serious tips and advice for making this food bearable. I have still yet to try:
Vanilla and Strawberry Shakes
Carmel Nut and Chocolate Divine Bars
Chili, chicken noodle, cream of chicken, and cream of broccoli soups.

Any help, tips, advice, or motivation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PS- I have 30 pounds that I need to lose.
Misti2k2

Postby smiller » August 23rd, 2005, 11:53 am

I'm sure you'll get tons of responses regarding this but... I felt the same way you did, it's been a week now for me and I've found a few things that make it better. 1 - Oatmeal: I add more water than what it calls for plus I add vanilla flavoring and splenda, much better -- 2 - shakes: don't think there's much to do for that, although I did add just a drop of almond extract to my chocolate shake and that was good. I find I have more trouble with the smell than the taste. I did add diet orange soda to my vanilla shake and that was nummy.. 3 - soup - I have been putting my soups in their water w/flavorings the night before - that way they soak and are not crunchy. Hope this helps, it will get better.
Keep looking up, blessings on you, Sheila M.
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Carbshateme » August 23rd, 2005, 12:18 pm

Gasp. I actually really enjoy the Medifast food. But as I said in another post, I have been playing Julia Childs with mine.. I just had a Swiss Mocha I added a bit of Davinci vanilla syrup (sugar free, of course) and a teaspoon of instant espresso and I swear, I truthfully could not believe how good it tasted. It felt a million years beyond diet food. Have you checked out the Lean Cusine section of the forum? MANY tons MANY awesome hints and tips there. And repeat with me: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS!!! :)
Carbshateme
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Marcelle » August 23rd, 2005, 1:18 pm

Misti- definite dido on those syrups! They make these shakes truly amazing. I use my blender and cold water and sometimes ice...WOW! I even brought my blender into our office. We have a kitchen here, so I'm lucky in that, but it does make a huge difference.

One other thing, is that your taste buds are used to certain tastes and textures right now. Mostly high carb/sugar if your like me. That will change over time and your palate will adjust too.

You have 30 lbs to go? That's great, because you can be there in a fairly short period of time and that will also help, because your not talking about a year or more on something you don't like...you may have a couple of months and then can use the "maintenance transition" into food again.

Don't give up when you are so close to really reaching your goals...:)

Welcome!
Marcelle

08/07/05 = 187 and 5'7"
08/14/05 = 176.5
08/21/2005 = 175
Mini Goal is to break 175lbs.
Next Goal is to break 165 lbs.
Final Goal is 130 - 135 lbs.
Marcelle
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby martha » August 23rd, 2005, 8:36 pm

MISTI--
WELCOME!!!!!!!!! WELCOME!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not a fan at all for sweet oatmeal either BUT love the soups and the CHOCOLATE SHAKES are my all time favorites..Are you making them ahead of time and letting them sit and get chilled?? I make mine in the morning and by the time I drink them they are good and thick..I don't use syrups or ice yet.. This is the only program I have ever tried that has no after taste to me.. isn't it funny how everyone's taste buds are different?? Just hang in there and soon you will be in THINSVILLE. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . have a great week--Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby aimalasplace » August 23rd, 2005, 8:43 pm

Welcome Misti2k2,
I have to add my two cents- I had tried nurtisystem last year, I was working full time and starting school full time. I knew I was gonna start gaining weight cause I was working out everyday for 2 hrs. (I had lost 80 lbs two years before) Well the food was soooo bad, they added so much sauce trying to cover up the horrible taste I think anyway. Well I had to send it all back. If i had known about medifast back then I would have done it. I gained all the weight I had lost (80lbs which is what I need to lose now)
As for Meidfast- I started a week ago, after finding this site I just read and read. I was well prepared for the taste, so I bought SF DaVinci syrups, (I find that you make the shakes with ICE COLD water and ice cubes and use the blender, also the diet cocolate soda is great) stocked up on boullion, pickles, and jello. And prayed for the best.
My first experience was oatmeal and it burned my hand and I put in Mint extract by accident and had to choke it down.
Nancy suggest that you make the soup the day before to soften up everything.
I hope this helps!!!
I wish you the best and please don't give up. Diets work but we have to work them.
Aimeé
32 5'3"
230/230/199
Start 10/31/05

aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Mefirst » August 25th, 2005, 9:40 am

First off -- hang in there!! I hope this is getting easier for you.

The best advice I can give anyone is: Don't expect the vanilla shake to taste like a real milkshake (or any of the others for that matter). When I started, I told myself that I had 37 years of eating and drinking all of the wrong things and that I could do this. The first few days were not terribly difficult, but I did have my favorites - chocolate and strawberry shakes. I still don't care for the orange/pineapple, but lots of people do. I've also found it's much easier to drink the shakes with a straw instead of right out of the cup because you don't smell the soy smell. ;) It took me 15 years to put on this weight, so giving up the unhealthy foods for the healthy became a decision I'm living by. I've tried NutriSystem, Atkins (lost 38lbs and then regained it, plus now my cholesterol is WAY up there), every diet pill you can imagine including Redux. This is the easiest change I've ever made, and that's possibly because I was ready for it.

You can do this! :cleader:

~Stephanie~
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mefirst
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby fedup » August 25th, 2005, 11:50 am

All of our taste buds are different.... For me, I can't stand the oatmeal. Lots of people love it, but not me. The choc-mint bars are okay, but I LOVE love love those caramel nut and chocolate divine bars. I also love the chilli when I eat it over lettuce with crumbled up MF crackers, love the chicken noodle soup with MF crackers. The weird thing with the bars for me was that they actually tasted better after the first few days. Were okay at first, then like candy.

Of course nothing's as "good" as that sugary/fatty stuff we were used to, but I gotta say as far as typical "Program" food I genuinely like the medifast also. I have my favorites and my no-no's though. You just need to discover what your's are!
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby ladyhawke » August 25th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Yup the Nutri system is pretty gross reminds me of dog food and you don't lose as fast on it like you do on MF, therefore MF rules!

Read the lean cuisine forum or use the search engine for recipes, I did that for hours when I first started an wrote down what I needed and it really got me through.
This board to me is the difference between failing at MF and succeeding.
ladyhawke
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby suzyq » August 25th, 2005, 6:55 pm

Welcome! Sorry your first day has been so tough! Definitely try the recipie section - there are lots of great recipies for the shakes, etc. Personally I love the choc. shakes but years ago when I was on another plan I used to add pure peppermint extract (just a touch) to the shakes - much better! Other ideas - vanilla mixed with instant coffee, orange extract, or diet cream soda, chocolate mixed with coffee (mocha) or diet choc. soda, and just about any shake mixed with a Davinci syrup. Mixing in a blender with ice helps make a lighter, frothier shake which doesn't taste as strong. Any of the chunky soups and the chili should be made ahead of time and left to sit for awhile - helps to soften the veggies and noodles. I add seasoning, boullion, or fast soup to most of them to spice them up. A touch of salsa in the chili is awesome!

Good luck!

Susanne
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

restart 6/5/08
suzyq
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Swift3260 » August 25th, 2005, 8:46 pm

I just began medifast today and I had a little of the same experience this morning but...it was a little better this afternoon. I tried the banana shake first, it was bareable. Next I had the vanilla, and had to choke it down. I was really hungry a couple hours later and i remembered my friend saying that the chili stuck with you longer and you felt fuller so i had that. I have heard people say it can be crunchy, so I covered it really well with glad press n seal wrap to keep the steam in. I followed the instructions but let it sit a little longer then it said after cooking. It came out well and not crunchy. I added chili powder and it was 10 times better then the 2 shakes I had earlier. I felt lots better after that. I had the idea to use the blender for my chocolate shake. I added the water and like 8 ice cubes and it was GREAT. It actually tasted like a normal (non diet) shake. The key is to add ice and keep it COLD. That was my favorite today.

Good luck!!! I know im gonna stick with it!
Swift3260
Regular Member - #70 Club

Postby martha » August 25th, 2005, 10:54 pm

SWIFT--

GLAD to see you here with us..I love the chocolate shakes..I drink them all the time.. They are about the only ones I really like.. :mrgreen: You will do great on this program..and before long you will be in thinsville at your goal.. :mrgreen: Just keep on shaking..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ladyhawke » August 26th, 2005, 5:39 am

Hi I don't know if you are a coffee person but the van shake with cinnamon and 1 teas of instant coffee or espresso is a treat also the oatmeal pancakes (do search for recipe) with Butter Buds and Sugar free maple syrup, just a little is all you need, is also a treat.
ladyhawke
Preferred Member - #20 Club

THANKS SO MUCH

Postby Misti2k2 » August 31st, 2005, 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone! After day 1, I went off MF. But I have had a week now to psych myself up and really prepare for the adventure... So I am going to start in the morning again. Your tips have been very helpful!!! Thank you
Misti2k2

Postby mytime » August 31st, 2005, 8:21 pm

YOU CAN DO IT !!!! Don't forget your extras and stay busy - looking forward to your posts and WELCOME !!!!Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Next

Return to Come on in.