Hungry! Help please??

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hungry! Help please??

Postby Alisha » August 18th, 2005, 9:42 am

My fellow MFers, I really need your help!

I've done so well up until this point, but I'm in a rut and I could use a hand out of the hole I've dug for myself.

I mentioned my little slip up the other week and I went straight back to program. However, I've faltered again and I now know why! I'm hungry! I've been on the Complete program since June 29th and I've been flying the straight and narrow but, all of a sudden, I'm now getting hungry! I've tried the extra packet, the bouillon, the pickles and still I find that I get hungry, sometimes, even within an hour after having a shake! I promise you that this is NOT head hunger and it isn't the normal painful feeling I used to get when my acid was over-producing - this is just plain ole hunger.

This is my general routine:

7:00am - Shake
10:00 - Shake
11:30 - bouillon
1:00 - Shake
3:30 - bouillon
4:00 - Shake
7:00 - Shake
9:00 - 2 pickles

I also drink a minium of 80oz of water every single day!

I'm desperate folks - my cravings are all-consuming because I'm hungry and I want to get this weight off. I have just ordered (and should be receiving) my new monthly supply of product and I have ordered oatmeal, the fruit drinks, some 55 shakes, pudding and ONE box of snack bars, which I plan to have 1 every 3 days. I was hoping that the food would help me feel more full. I've also considering switching to the 70 shakes.

Has anyone else experienced this - where you've been on the program for awhile and doing fine and then all of a sudden the hunger monster hits? Any help would be appreciated. I've hit the 30# mark as of today, but I KNOW that I could have been at 34 or 35# if I could get my act straightened up.

Mucho thanks everyone.
Alisha :(
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Hungry

Postby Jan » August 18th, 2005, 11:13 am

Hi Alisha,
I've gone back and counted your meal replacements twice now and I'm only getting 5 shakes. You are on the complete program with your Dr.s help I think that's what I read. You should have 6 meal replacements per day. And, if you are really really hungry you may add an extra shake. I think you are cutting it too low. No wonder you are hungry :x
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Alisha » August 18th, 2005, 11:56 am

Hi Jan and thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's correct, I'm currently on 5 shakes a day and have been since I started on June 29. Up until recently I've felt like a million bucks but lately I've been getting hungry. The suggested number of shakes for the Complete program seems to teeter-totter all the time and it's very confusing. The booklet that came with my MF said 5-6 and then Nancy suggested (against her will, bless her):
Nancy wrote: Never ever, no not ever have less than 5 packets a day…your doc will help you to know if you need 5 or 6. Active folks = 6.

I've said from the get-go that I do not have a doctor because I have no health insurance. I know this is not recommended or ideal, but unfortunately it's just the way it has to be for now. Regardless, I'm choosing to do the Complete program in order to break dangerous habits associated with food. I have a diagnosed binge/compulsive eating disorder and I didn't want to have the lean and green as a 'meal' which hangs over my head all day as an attraction. It would only serve to focus my attention on food because I'd be thinking about it all day and looking forward to it. I'm trying to re-train myself, if you will, from using food as something I look forward to or get excited about because that is what has gotten me to this weight to begin with.

That said, I am not an active person - in fact, I'm actually very sedintary during the day because I work in a construction site trailer. I don't even leave the trailer all day, so, I opted for the 5 supplements.

Like I said, it's worked fine for me up until this point but despite having no changes to my routine, I now find myself hungry. It's just sort of weird and I was wondering if this was just a 'phase' that will dissipate with patience. I really don't want to resort to drinking/eating 7 supplements a day because that seems like overkill, not to mention I couldn't even afford it!

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this sort of thing, rather they were on Complete or 5/1 and what they did to get through it.

Alisha

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha

Postby jentuke » August 18th, 2005, 12:07 pm

Hi Alisha,

I'm on the 5/1 and I think without the 6th meal (the lean and green) I would absolutely die of hunger (at least in my head). If you are only eating 5 supplements, you are only getting about 500 calories a day. It seems like you should definitely be getting 6 if you are on the full program.

If you are worried about the Lean and Green, maybe just try and work it in a few times a week. To make it easier, you might try to find pre-made salads with chicken at the grocery store (or fast food) that fit the L/G profile. That way you aren't having to make a meal, it has been provided with nothing to mess up.

Listen to your body though. If you are hungry, add another packet. It is better to add 1 or even 2 packets than for you to stay hungry and frustrated and go off the diet.
jentuke
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby want2Bthin » August 18th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Alisha-

I am a little concerned about you not seeing your doctor on the complete. I am a pretty new health advisor & I am not as knowledgeable as Nancy but I do know that you are suppose to be under doctor supervision on the complete to avoid any potential health risk. :roll: I understand that you do not have health insurance- I have been there & done that. :D I know you are a big girl & have to make your own decisions but I really wish you would go on the 5 and 1. I have a food addiction problem too but I have been very successful on the 5 and 1. I guess that is all I can say. Please be careful.

Angelia
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby martha » August 18th, 2005, 9:59 pm

ALISHA--

I have been getting hungry lately myself :oops: I jump around between the 5 & 1 and the complete.. In the last few days I have been really hungry..I know it's stress related and am trying so hard to fight it.. Hopefully it will go away soon :oops:
I too am worried about you only doing the 5 shakes a day..Maybe your body is in the stravation mode and you need to add the 6th one for a while to get it going again..Once it shuts down on a certain thing(5 shakes) it will not start again at the same rate.. you really need to add the other shake for awhile.. it's worth a try..hope this helps and have a great week..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mytime » August 18th, 2005, 10:20 pm

Alisha - I too am hungry - find it increases with stress but increases even more when I don't get all of my Z'SSSS. I think our bodies just need more when we push ourselves. I think going on other supplements is a good idea, but I would try and increase to another shake per day for starters. By far no expert here but maybe it has something to do with your metabolism finally getting started ? Maybe now you are able to use the fuel and thus need more ? Also maybe you are having a hard time getting back into ketosis ? If you have have gone more than three days on program add the shake and then consider the 70's. Nancy has said it will make no measurable difference in your weightloss and might be what you need to make it to GOAL. Wish I could be of more help. But do be cautious and take care of yourself. We care, Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Alisha » August 19th, 2005, 6:23 am

Thanks everyone, for your replies, suggestions and encouragement. Perhaps Mytime is right - it may have something to do with my sleep. I've been stressing about a few things and haven't been sleeping for toffey - you know - the waking up in the middle of the night and finally getting back to sleep just before the alarm goes off.

I'm very pleased because my MF order came last night so I'm enjoying a bowl of Vanilla Berry oatmeal as I write this. Not bad... :) In hindsight I think that having the food-ish supplements will help more than just the shakes because it will get me used to what portion sizes look like. Maybe after I feel comfortable enough with this I'll try the lean and green and see how it goes.

I understand your concerns and appreciate them but I assure you that I'm being very careful. I always ensure to have my bouillon and pickles for the potassium and I do have my blood pressure monitored every twelve weeks because I'm on the Depo Provera shot. Actually that just made me realize something... I'm actually due for my shot today so maybe that hormonal thing kicked in and that's why I've been so hungry! I know my friend from England who was on the shot used to have quite a 'shift' in personality about two weeks before her shot was due. Kind of a latent PMS effect I guess. My mom is also a registered CNA so she keeps a close eye on me as well and can even take my blood pressure if needed.

Anyway, I'll give these new supplements a try and get my shot and see how things go.

Alisha

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha

Postby mytime » August 20th, 2005, 12:10 am

Alisha - probably was the shot. I know I still get hungry right before my TOM. Not sure about everyone else but it works that way here. Glad to know you are taking care of yourself and your mom is in your corner.
Sleep has been such a big deal in my weightloss thus far. I had no idea how much it was impacting me prior to MF. Glad you are on board and liking the other supplements. MF is great stuff. Keep up the great work !!! Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby beautifulb » August 20th, 2005, 7:26 am

Hi Alisha,

When I first started I was doing the complete plan with 5 supplements. I would have shakes during the day and chilli w/crackers in the evening. I ate every 3 hours. It worked for me. The all of a sudden after a month or so I started to get really hungry. I thought about getting the 70 shakes but decided to just add another shake/supplement and that helped a lot. Recently I have been having the lean and green meal a couple times a week (chicken breast w/broccoli). Here is what my plan currently looks like:

shake
shake
bar
chicken noodle soup w/boullion cube and crackers
chilli w/2 tablespoons of salsa or lean & green
pudding

I think adding other supplements to your plan will help you. I hope things work of for you soon.

Tena
Beatena
beautifulb

One day at a time...nothing worthwhile comes easy!
RE-started Medifast 3/3/08
296/275.6/145
beautifulb
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » August 20th, 2005, 11:32 am

Hi there, Alisha ~

Sorry I missed this - you've gotten good advice - I would suggest 6 packets/day.

Angelia, right on as the complete program is considered a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and there can be potential health risks, particularly if a person does not transition properly.

You are being monitored for BP and that's good. I did have waves of hunger at times during my weight loss journey and when I did, I had more shakes. If you are having longer work days and less sleep, you need more fuel. If a person had 9 shakes (or packets) a day they would still lose weight safely and quickly. We're not in a race; we will get to the finish line if we do not give up.

During maintenance, I eat very often, especially if I am very active. I eat every two hours or so. When I go longer - like 4 or 5 hours, I get hungry, go wild and eat things I shouldn’t and I feel lousy for several days. We were at a conference last weekend and I didn't have food or packets every couple of hours and restricted my water so I wouldn't interrupt the speaker (I was sitting in the front row) and I was starved at supper time - there were not good choices for us and later that night I ate an ice cream sundae...had a low energy day and hunger loomed the ext few days...

When you experience hunger have your packets closer together, add another packet or two.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Come on in.