How bad was I?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

How bad was I?

Postby Allison Onederland » March 29th, 2006, 6:57 am

Ok, I caved last night. After a meeting yesterday, hubby and I went out to eat (at my favorite restaurant, no less!) with a group of friends. Hubby proceeded to order shrimp scampi appetizers. My absolute all time favorite thing to eat at this restaurant!! Six big tender shrimp in a delicious lemon/butter/garlic and wine sauce. Hubby picked out the smallest one and scraped the sauce off of it for me and put it on my plate. And yes....I ate it! :roll: I tried to make myself feel better by saying "well, at least I passed up the Italian bread loaded with butter and garlic (usually used to soak up the yummy sauce) and just ate one shrimp". How badly did I mess up my diet? :sadblue:

After that I ordered a petite steak minus the sauce with sauteed 'shrooms (about the only thing I can get at an Italian restaurant) with steamed broccoli and a small side salad. I gave away the croutons and other stuff and just ate the lettuce with a teaspoon of lite Italian dressing. The broccoli was a bit crisp for my taste so I only ate a bit of it.

How much butter and other bad stuff can one little shrimp soak up? And is it enough to mess me up for 3 days? I've been so good about not going off the diet but have been at a plateau for the past week. Now I'm going to be really upset with myself :brickwall: if I go another 3 or 4 days without losing.

PS...can someone tell me how to go about posting pics? Been meaning to do it for a while but have no idea how. Scratch that, just saw the topic "how to post your pic". :roll: :oops: Coffee...need coffee. :?
Allison Onederland
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby falisamarie » March 29th, 2006, 7:43 am

Honey don't beat yourself up! It was one shrimp and the bright side is that the butter was mostly wiped off! Shame on hubby though for putting that on your plate. My hubby would have lost that hand!

Seriously I don't think you did any damage. You are doing wonderful!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby SueInSLO » March 29th, 2006, 7:52 am

Hi Allison! :wave:

I don't think you did any damage with "one" shrimp! You made good choices with the salad, etc. Isn't it amazing how our minds are changing to make better choices?!?!

You're doing a great job!! Great losses!! WTG!!

Yeah, I screwed up on my trip last week, BUT, I made better choices most of the time. I was very aware as I looked over the menus!

It sounds like you know exactly what to do and not do. Keep up the good work!!!

Sue
:D
SueInSLO
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Pashta » March 29th, 2006, 9:00 am

Nothing wrong with the one shrimp with the butter mostly off of it. :) However... You said "sauteed mushrooms" and that means a TON :bricks: of calories and fat. Not good. :( Unless you meant minus the sauce AND the shrooms.. :?:

Just get back on track! You can do it! :mrgreen:
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta

Postby MusicalMomma » March 29th, 2006, 9:13 am

Shame on you! You bad bad girl!!! :roflmao: I am totally kidding!!!!!! I think you did great! Good job passing on that lucious garlic bread!!!
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » March 29th, 2006, 9:58 am

And it definitely won't mess you up for three days. Do you mean because it would throw you out of ketosis?? That will only happen if you eat carbs; extra fat will NOT do it.

Medifast actually even says at some point (I can't remember where I saw it) that if you're going to cheat, do it by having extra fat/protein because you'll remain in ketosis. The low-carb diets like Atkins actually put you DEEPER into ketosis for just that reason.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Diana » March 29th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Hi, Allison!

Shrimp is allowed I do believe, just not all the fun stuff, like butter, we put on them. (Can you get them scewered and grilled sans basting of any kind?) And sauted mushrooms -- at least it WASN'T the garlic bread ..::sigh::.. or pasta or mashed potatoes with gravy.

Yeah, restaurants are bit like running the gauntlet, aren't they?? My husband and I just got back from a 4-day trip during which all my LnGs were eaten in restaurants. THEN, he suggested we go out to eat for our anniversary last night. I just couldn't face another menu! But here's what I've learned:

-I will take some MF crackers with me in the future (if I have them) to snack on while everyone else is enjoying the garlic bread. :eat:
-Ask the server if there are any no-sugar deserts available (like jello -- watch out for carbs that may sneak in here! Perhaps consider passing on the SF lemon chiffon cake) :chef:

-If ordering chicken or salmon, as in salad, see if there's any other source of protein with it (usually, there isn't 7 oz of either on a salad)

-If ordering beef, pork, or lamb, I estimate the right portion and not eat the rest. (Why is it that the chicken and fish servings are too small and the red meat portions are way too large?? :x )
-When everyone else is enjoying dessert, relish a diet soda and remember there's MF pudding back at the house! :burnout: (Or, next time if I know dessert will be involved, I may bring it with me and ask the server to keep it chilled)

-As mentioned here previously, if you must splurge, splurge on protein and fat (Consequently, I asked for NO croutons, tortilla strips, corn, etc., on the Southwest Chicken Caesar, but I ATE the avocado!) :whistle:

And, bottom line, doesn't it still come down to calories in v. calories out? Therefore, if you're afraid you've taken in too many calories, a nice little walk (not sprint, not jog, not long and sweaty) may be all the balancing factor you need. That, and some water!
:water:

(I seem to recall something Unca wrote about keeping posts concise. I'll work on that.)
Cheers!
Diana
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Dayna » March 29th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Diana wrote:I seem to recall something Unca wrote about keeping posts concise.

I say concise posting is highly overrated. ;)
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Unca_Tim » March 30th, 2006, 8:25 am

Just cuz i'm concise, don't mean you have to be...:)

Some may think concise is more like curt.... :|
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Allison Onederland » March 30th, 2006, 9:26 am

Woops! I should have said "minus the sauteed 'shrooms and sauce"! :oops: Actually, they put the saucy 'shrooms in a bowl for me and I passed 'em around the table. :lol: Everyone enjoyed them and I was happy not to have them hanging around my plate!

Well, I'm glad to know that the semi-buttery, yummy shrimp didn't put me out of ketosis or possibly slow down the fat burning! Although, I still won't do it again. If I feel that tempted again I'll excuse myself and go sit in the car for a few minutes or go to the girls room, powder my nose and imagine what I'm going to look like when I reach my goal! ;)

Speaking of anniversaries! Ours is April 8th and hubby wants to go to the same Italian restaurant! :cry: Such temptation! Shrimp Scampi, Italian bread dipped in olive oil, TIRAMISU!!! :uhuh: Nope, none for me thanks...I'd rather be thin and healthy!!!

Diana, the cracker idea is great! I'm going to do that next time too. And you are so right about the portions...a grilled chicken salad will have 4 little miniscule bits of chicken but...order a steak :shock: and it's enough for two meals! I do the same as you, estimate the correct amount and not eat the rest...hubby loves to help out by eating my leftovers. :lol: Some places actually have a "healthy" menu and offer a "petite" portion, I always check for that first. Saves money and I'm not tempted to over-eat.

Thank you, everyone, for the reassurances that I didn't completely blow it. I am so determined to make this work that I really get upset with myself when I have a weak moment. :x I did good yesterday though. Took my BF to lunch (guess where she wanted to go?) and had a salad while she ate a big plate of pasta with...you guessed it....TIRAMISU for dessert! I didn't even feel tempted! :angel:

If I do mess up, please feel free to :whip: :3head: :coach: It will keep me motivated and honest! BTW, the UPS man brought my bars and RTD's last night! :yippee: Brown truck to the rescue!! Yaaay!

Concise? What does that mean? :oops: :rollrolleyes:
Allison Onederland

Postby Pashta » March 30th, 2006, 10:33 am

concise

adj : expressing much in few words; "a concise explanation"; clear and succinct.
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta

Return to The Weight Room