Help

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Help

Postby mellowmom » March 30th, 2006, 9:59 am

First let me say, I'm thrilled with the results I've had so far. I've lost 12+ pounds and haven't even been on the diet for a week yet!

But as you all well know...along with the weight loss there has been a whole lot of peeing going on.

Normally, that's not really a problem, a small, sometimes large, inconvenience, but not unmanageabe. Until last night...

I sing in a Symphonic Choir and we had a dress rehearsal last night. Our actual live performance will be on Friday. I made sure to use the restroom right before practice began. Well, halfway through practice I found myself in the untenable position of having to go again with no place to go. I'm fairly tall so I'm up on the top level of the risers and can't just slip away to take care of business without distubring the entire alto section. So there I stood or rather danced..you know the pee pee dance. The conductor kept glaring at me because one of his firm rules for the choir is "Don't Fidget!"

It was the most uncomfortable feeling trying to sing with a full bladder. Luckily we had a break before I broke! I decided not to drink any water during the break time because I didn't want a repeat perfromance. (No pun intended.)

Well, after the break we sang a piece ("Agnus Dei" by Barber) which is really long and dragged out, requiring a lot of long sustained notes And believe it or not, kind of strenuous to sing. (One of the ladies passed out right in the middle of the piece last night!) I literally broke out in a sweat while singing it. By the end of the piece I was feeling a little light headed too. So here's the problem. If I drink all the water, I have to pee, but if I don't I get light headed.

Any suggestions? Other than going the "Depends" route I can't figure out how to handle this.
:oops:

Thanks,
MM
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Pashta » March 30th, 2006, 10:38 am

I highly doubt the light-headedness was due to not enough water, considering you just peed a ton. :) I think it was more due to the strenuous singing you were doing, it's exercise in a way, or perhaps you drank too *much* water and your electrolytes were slightly off-balance. When that happens we have been told to have a cup of chicken or beef bullion or a pickle or two to help balance it out.

Don't worry, you'll be fine... and next time don't drink for an hour before the performance and that should work. :)
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » March 30th, 2006, 1:36 pm

I tend to plan my water around my activities. I drink when I know there'll be a bathroom available, and I slow it down when I know there won't be.

I agree, I don't think the lightheadedness really was unrelated. You were obviously not dehydrated.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » March 30th, 2006, 5:21 pm

From one MusicalMomma to another....

-stop drinking approx two hours before your concert.
-About 1/2 before the concert, have a shake (I'd say right before the concert, but belching is usually frowned upon by conductors as well hehe).
-I'd also recommend having your L & G about 1.5 hours before the concert. Yes, that's having meals a little close together...but sometimes its necessary.

This should keep you from getting light headed and give you bladder relief :) Have a great concert!
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 30th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Maybe eat a bar right before you start singing? :)

And perhaps you feel light-headed from all the deep long exhalations sustaining long notes require? (An oxygen "low"?)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » March 30th, 2006, 10:49 pm

I agree with DogMa ... I plan my pee breaks around my activities. I try to get all my water in before or after an event and usually put a couple of hours in between.
Arklahoma

Postby mellowmom » March 31st, 2006, 7:43 am

Thanks for all your good ideas. I'll let you all know how it went...Hmmm, poor choice of words! ;)
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby Dayna » March 31st, 2006, 1:16 pm

What group are you singing with, out of curiosity? I was Bay Area born and raised, and had been involved with quite a few musical groups in the area (as was my dad).

From one alto to another, happy singing; hope it's a great performance!

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

One Performance Down and I'm Still Afloat

Postby mellowmom » April 1st, 2006, 2:35 pm

Well, made it through the first performance last night with no problems. Still it was a mixed blessing, because I was so paranoid about the problem that I didn't drink all my water for the day. Showed in my weight loss, or rather lack of weight loss this morning. :|

Dayna, to answer your question, I sing with the San Jose Symphonic Choir. Leroy Fromm is the Conductor. We sang a World Premiere last night of a Mass. It's entitled "Beatitude" by Henry Mollicone and it was a benefit concert for the Homeless. All the proceeds from the two evening performances will be going to various homeless shelters and support groups in Santa Clara County. There will be a CD made of the concert also, and all proceeds of the sale from now until perpetuity (sp?) will go to Mother Teresa's homeless project. (I can't remember the exact name for it.)

I have to say I'm very pleased with the timing of my Medifast weight loss. Standing for over an hour on the top row of risers was barely tolerable for me last night. (My puppies were barking) :eyecrazy: I doubt I could have done it last week. Twelve pounds made a big difference.

Thanks again for your support.

MM
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Return to The Weight Room