HELP!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

HELP!

Postby klrclsr » June 30th, 2005, 11:01 am

I lost about 20 lbs on this diet, however, in the last couple of months I have changed jobs and moved.

My eating got totally out of control, I craved carbo's and sweets, it was awful. Does this diet always have this reaction? I want to try again but I am v. fearful since I gained my weight back.
I don't want to keep doing this.

:(
klrclsr

Postby Sablebaby » June 30th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Congrats on losing 20 lbs the first time!

Now, I wouldn't say the reaction was caused by the diet. The reaction is caused by our nature, or our impulse, or whatever it is that takes us over. It comes down to a choice. We choose what we put in our mouths, and no diet can make us go nuts and eat whatever we want at the time. It's like a little demon that we try to stick away in the back of our head. Then, when the time is right and we are at a low the demon comes out looking for something to eat and knows what we really shouldn't be eating. It's the emotional side of why we eat. And it's all about our state of mind.

You mentioned taht you moved and changed jobs. Oh my, that is a LOT of stress to deal with. I did both a couple of months ago, along with starting another semester of grad school. It was one of the hardest times in my life. Yes, stress can make us do crazy things. And it can definitely put us in the face of bad food. :x

I hope you give MF another try and maybe this time that little demon will go away and not bother you as much.
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby dlr2424 » June 30th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Klr.........it certainly isn't the Medifast........ :no: .......regardless of what method we choose to take off the pounds it is what we do when those pounds are off...... :huh: ........for me when I decrease my carb intake and then introduce them back in at an alarming rate my body begins to have a strong addiction to them..... :shock: ....I begin to crave them over & over............once I am free of the carb overload I no longer crave them.... :D .....it begins and ends with CONTROL.............. I know my triggers and if I want to remain healthy and at a good weight then I can't pull those triggers .... :huh: .....at least not day after day.............or I too will be back where I began.... :uhuh: ....so I say ....try again ....and this time I would emphasize reading the book "Life is hard Food is easy"..... :yes: .....it deals with the emotional side of eating............my best to you in whatever you chose
Donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Help

Postby Jan » June 30th, 2005, 3:58 pm

No, this eating program does not induce people to crave carbs. We keep carbs in your daily eating program for just this reason. If we eliminate totally anything (carbs, fat, protein) our body craves it and as a result when we go off program --we eat and eat the missing element. Not so with this-- it is very medically balanced to help you transistion to a normal eating pattern. I fear it was probably stress and old eating habits which were the cause of your weight gain.
Jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby ljm498 » July 2nd, 2005, 3:45 am

;..,.z,,
Last edited by ljm498 on August 15th, 2005, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby dlr2424 » July 2nd, 2005, 6:51 am

Lynne....... :yes: ....that was an awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........a great eye opener and something for all of us to remember....................... :yeah:
donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby LuzInIt » July 2nd, 2005, 7:04 am

Wow Lynne... anyone who can preach the truth with that kind of directness and clarity belongs on the soap box! Anytime you've got a message for us girl, get right back up there and cut loose. We're all ears!
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Emma » July 2nd, 2005, 7:21 am

Lynne:

Wow, that was awesome!! :bow:

I've actually always believed what you said and try to explain it to my oh so skeptical family and friends, but I couldn't articulate it nearly as well as you just did. I may just print your post out and hand it to anyone who gives me any lip of "oh, you'll just gain it all back" stuff.

Thank you - very inspiring!

emma
:D
Started MF: 5/18/05
5'10"

Emma
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Help

Postby klrclsr » July 6th, 2005, 7:12 am

I want to thank everyone who replied to my email. I feel all of the comments were helpful and right on. I have to change my thinking and my way of eating, if I want to keep it off.
I really appreciate all of your support. Wow someone really cares. :D
klrclsr

Thanks

Postby klrclsr » July 6th, 2005, 7:17 am

Thank you so much! So much support. :D
ljm498 wrote:Nope, certainly not the Medifast that put the weight back on. Once we lose what we want, it's up to us to keep it off. You had a common reaction to a stressful situation. This reaction would have occured whether you lost weight doing Medifast or any other weight loss program. I have this friend who sees how well I'm doing on Medifast. We've been weight loss buddies for years now and a few years ago we did Optifast. We both did really well. Years later we both had put the weight back on. So, she sees how well I'm doing on Medifast and says yeah, that's great, but what happens when you're done? Gain the weight back? That's what happens on "these diets" (meaning liquid or similar). She was implying that the "diet" failed and here we will be again at square one. I said nope, I KNOW I won't be gaining the weight back this time. First of all, I have to change the way I think, feel about and deal with food. I will be seeing a behavioral therapist once I get closer to goal to help me learn how to do this. I have also figured out that food is not my "buddy". It's not going to make me feel better when I'm sad, or stressed, or angry, or whatever. It's not going to make boredome go away. It's not the life of the party. It's not a social event. It's not entertainment. It's not love. If anything, by the time I get done using food as a "friend" I don't feel so good afterward anyway. I feel bad about myself, uncomfortable etc. So, it's certainly NOT our friend. Food is fuel, and fuel alone. It's here to get us from one day to the next. I have also accepted the fact that I'm just not one of the lucky ones. Some people can eat what they want and not have a problem. I have accepted the fact that I will always have to be careful about what I put into my mouth for the rest of my life. Luck of the draw, genetics, whatever. It doesn't seem fair but I think I'm pretty much over the poor me feeling and have accepted this reality and will deal with it. I have no choice. Well, actually I do, but the other choice is to be fat again, and well, that's NOT an option. Medifast is a wonderful tool to use to help us get to the healthy people we want to be. But once we get there, it's up to us to make sure we stay healthy and make the right choices. My friend didn't like what I had to say. In her mind a diet should take the weight off and keep it off no matter what you do when you're "done". Unfortunately, until her mind set changes, she will be dealing with her weight.

Ok, climbing down off my little soap box here. Sorry if I rambled and hopefully I don't sound harsh! It's certainly not intended to be so. Hopefully you join us on your Medifast journey and get to know all of the truly wonderful people here.

Good luck! :thumbup:
klrclsr

Postby ljm498 » July 6th, 2005, 8:42 am

I'm glad my words helped. Hopefully we'll be hearing from you again soon and hearing about your wonderful success on MF!! :D
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby aphrael » July 6th, 2005, 11:02 am

Lynne

That was a great "rant" I am always on the look out for such inspiration. As with any other diet losing is the "easy" part (if only it were really that easy), it is the keeping it off that is the real test.

I heard a quote once that has stuck with me, "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got"

That couldn't be more true...

Have a great day all

Aphrael
aphrael
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby MomsTherapy » July 6th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Lynne, so true! All of it!
Leah (Lee-uh):D aka MomsTherapy

MomsTherapy
Trusted Member

Return to Come on in.