Hi Everyone

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hi Everyone

Postby devi » February 10th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around for a little while but you all are so great and supportive and wonderful that I thought I would make a post...
I've been overweight all my life but seriously for the past 15 years or so (seriously=200+)
Back in the late 80's I did the "Oprah" diet (that was Optifast, if anyone remembers). I didn't do very well with it in my opinion and it cost a fortune and turned me off to the whole liquid fasting idea..
...however..
I've been through every other diet on the face of the planet and I wasn't getting anywhere. Now that I'm on the down side of 35 I decided I was going to look better at 40 then I did at 19... and after reading everyone's stories here I decided I was going to give MF a try. So I ordered a bunch of shakes and started on January 17.
Being a vegetarian (a strict one) I have to be real careful with things like soups and meals that are prepackaged, so I've been sticking with the shakes for the most part..
My husband was pretty insistent that I do some exercise along with any diet I decided I was going to do-remember, he's seen me on about a million diets in the last 15 years.. so I was at a loss as to what I wanted to do. I hate gyms, hate Jane Fonda-type workout videos, have the attention span of a 4 year old and zero motivation to exercise. Anyway, I read about a video game kids are doing where you dance... some of these kids have lost a lot of weight (one lost 150#) just playing this game. I figured hey if it'll keep the attention of a highschool kid it might do for me too. Anyway I got it.. it has a workout mode so I can track how many calories I burn every time I use it. And to my surprise (and his delight since it won't be wasted money) I'm having a great time doing it. (I'm not mentioning the name of the game because this isn't a commercial.. it's just my story..)
So I was a little concerned because everyone's said don't really exercise, but I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place with it, so I decided to go ahead.
So after what.. 3 weeks I guess.. I've lost 16#, which to me isn't quite fast enough (although I know it's good, I'm just impatient!!) and I've really not had any major problems.
The shakes taste really great-I read how some people don't like the smell or whatever, but oh my have they are a million percent better from what I had in the 80's!! I don't like the pineapple one very much and I don't really like anything that's banana.. but the rest are really, really good and I work with them some (I add a little instant coffee to the vanilla and to the mocha..mmm). I find that I'm not really hungry.. I do get very thirsty so I am being very careful to drink loads and loads of water besides the herbal teas and stuff that I drink anyway.. and I just feel pretty darn good.
I'm waiting for the day when people start to notice the weight loss. Already I can see it and tell it by how my clothes fit, but 16# is not a lot in the overall picture (my total goal to lose is around 165#, unless I look really good a little curvier.. lol) but everyone has to start somewhere..

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and complement everyone on being such a great group of people and being so supportive and enthusiastic. It's so wonderful to see people who *TRULY* understand what it is to be us and who are so willing to help us be who we know we can be.

You guys are great. I'm looking forward to the day when I can tell yall that 16# has become 160#.
Love
devi
devi
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » February 10th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Welcome Devi! :wave: Thank you for telling us your story :) We're glad you've joined us. Feel free to ask questions, share feelings, or just gab. We're all looking to acheive good health and fit bodies. We'll be here cheering you on to victory!!!! :goteam:
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » February 10th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Welcome, Devi. I have the dance game, too, actually. I don't do it very much, though, because I get so frustrated with how bad I am at it (I'm a few years older than you, though).

You might check some of the other products, too, at some point. A couple do have things like chicken fat, but a number don't and are completely vegetarian.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby falisamarie » February 10th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Devi

It was really nice reading your story and I know you will do great on the program. Almost everyone here you will find has done every diet under the sun with little or no results but Medifast is truly different and truly the answer.

Keep shakin

Lisa :rose:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Marseilles » February 10th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Welcome Devi!

So good to read your story. I have oft considered getting dance dance revolution as well, or something like it, because it seemed like it would be great fun. Your post has inspired me to go ahead and do exactly that. Wishing you great success on medifast and looking forward to getting to know you!

-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Bonnie » February 10th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Devi, we are so glad to have you join us Medifaster's :toast:

I really enjoy the shakes - especially the vanilla as you can add the devinci syrups and make them whatever flavor you want them to be.

I am so glad you have found a way to exercise. :jumprope: I have started to walk 30 minutes a day around the house - up and down the stairs etc - that works for me as I live in the Northwest and it is so cold and wet here. I love the energy I get from being on the Medifast products.

Welcome!!!!
Bonnie
I lost 50lbs Through Take Shape for Life

Bonnie Wills
Bonnie

Postby 2BHealthy » February 10th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Devi,

I ordered but haven't received my product yet. I'm anxious to start! Are ya crazy girl?? :boing: 16 pounds is great! I'm just chiming in to say we are the same age and I did optifast too. Im so glad to hear the taste is better because I HATED those shakes, ick! Great going girl!
2BHealthy

That dancing thing and thank you!!

Postby devi » February 10th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the super welcome.. I feel at home already!

As far as DDR goes: put it on beginner and turn off the 'simultaneous steps' thing. I look stupid doing it and I'm not so good at it-I won't even do it when my husband's home because he might see me! But don't let it frustrate you-even when you screw it up you're still burning calories. I find that when I screw up I burn more because I'm trying to catch up and get it right!

The workout mode is really inspiring to me because I can see with every song how many calories I've burned. I alternate faster songs with ones that are slower so I never get to the 'please someone give me oxygen' stage.. but I am still working it. I've also found that the exercise really squashes my appetite.

DDR even if I look stupid and can't do anything past beginner is still better than looking at 105 lb super-aerobics-queens working out and trying to keep up, or (heaven forbid) going to a *gym*. To me, it's not working out-it's just playing a game. I've found I have to set a timer so I don't spend all day on it instead of doing chores!

I just turned 37 a few months ago and I've already had one broken ankle, and I've been overweight *forever*.. so don't think I'm some kind of hip hop dance queen... if I can do this, anyone can!

And oh I was SO GLAD to find out that MF isn't the same old Optifast in a new box! You have no idea how horrible that stuff was!! These shakes are *gourmet*!!!

So I'm really excited about everything and really glad to be part of the forum... reading all the posts here was really what inspired me to do MF. I am so impressed and humbled by everyone's achievements and looking forward to the day when I can post you some B&A pictures!

Love
devi
devi
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Soon2bFitSonja » February 10th, 2006, 8:40 pm

A BIG WELCOME DEVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your story. Girl, you lose 16#'s in three weeks :yes: that is awesome, thats over 5#'s a week. . In addition you are exercising :exercise: Keep it up and you'll be at goal in no time.

:goteam:

Start Date: April 4, 2006
173.6/???/134
Soon2bFitSonja
Trusted Member

Return to Come on in.