Bathroom Scale Body Fat % Accuracy

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Bathroom Scale Body Fat % Accuracy

Postby momof2 » April 20th, 2006, 1:24 pm

Hi All. Does anyone know how accurate the body fat % read outs you get from a bathroom scale are?

Started 4/1/06
momof2
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Mom23 » April 20th, 2006, 1:35 pm

From what I understand, you can not count on them.

The best way to measure body fat is with those special calipers (personal trainers often have them and nutritionists always have them). Hopefully, the person that uses them to measure has been trained in how to obtain the proper measurements as well.

The most accurate way to measure body fat is to be dunked in one of those special tanks that they have at teaching universities and big sports research facilities.

<snip>no urls please - Mr. Snippy</snip> is a site that provides a pretty good explanation of these 3 ways of measuring body fat. Hopefully this site is ok to post (Mr. Snippy?) otherwise, PM me if you want to read it.
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » April 20th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Mom23 wrote:The most accurate way to measure body fat is to be dunked in one of those special tanks that they have at teaching universities and big sports research facilities.

Had to comment on this with a funny story (at lease I find it humorous now). A couple of summers ago, my older brother's family and my family went to the local pool. My brother is pretty muscular and lean. We were all swimming happily along and I noticed my bro crossed his arms and legs and sunk to the bottom of the pool and stayed there for a minute or more. When he came up, I decided to have a breath holding contest with him (Yes I was in my 30's he in his 40's, GROWN UPS! NOT!). ANYWAY, he sunk to the bottom again and I FORCED my way to the bottom, but kept floating up!!!! After the contest I asked him WHY I couldn't stay on the bottom and he could, seeing as I outweighed him by 30 or more pounds. His response...."Muscle sinks, Fat Floats!" No, he was not being mean, just joking around. We all had a good laugh! This summer, I intend to sink with the best of them!!!! LOL
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby momof2 » April 20th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Thanks for the link Mom23. My % has been going down so I think that's all that I care about, but was wondering if the numbers were any good. My work had some people come in and do some readings..unfortunately I missed it, but my friends said they just used one of those hand held devices (similar technique to the scales).

Started 4/1/06
momof2

Postby momof2 » April 20th, 2006, 2:47 pm

MusicalMomma, you're right, you'll be sinking too! I hope to be down at the bottom of the pool with you. :D

Started 4/1/06
momof2

Postby Loribug » April 20th, 2006, 5:35 pm

It would be nice to go scuba diving without having to wear 20 pounds of lead in my pockets! :lol:
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to The Weight Room