Is it bad if I don't tell my DH how much I weigh?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Is it bad if I don't tell my DH how much I weigh?

Postby DonicaB » April 11th, 2005, 9:13 am

I was sharing with my husband about how encouraging this forum is to me and was telling him about some of your successes. In the process I happened to mention how exciting it was when one of you posted you were in the 50# club and I couldn't wait to be there.

I think he was a little shocked at the 50# remark. He has no idea how much I weigh. Is that bad? He got on the scales yesterday to check his weight and I peeked over to see what it was and then he said "Your turn". I freaked out and said "No, I'll let you know when you can see." I figure I will tell him what my top weight was long after I am no longer there.

He is a wonderful man but definitely doesn't get the weight issues. He comes from a family that believes if you need to lose weight you just eat less. (Yeah right!) He is a fantastic husband and has never once made me feel like he doesn't love me because I have gained weight. He never says anything negative about my weight and has always been very encouraging. I know deep down though he wants me to be thin again and I don't blame him. I want to be thin again too.

Is it OK that I have not told him my top weight?

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby doglover » April 11th, 2005, 9:52 am

My hubby has no idea of my weight. Yesterday when I reached my goal I told him I had reached my first goal of 26 lbs lost. He was thrilled but never asked how much that is. I carry weight very well so I am sure he thinks I weigh less than I do!

No, I don't think it's weird. I think it's a girl thing.
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » April 11th, 2005, 9:57 am

I'd like a show of hands from those of you in the listening audience who HAVE told your husband what you weigh.

:: pause ::

Didn't think so.

Carry on.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by 24KaratGold on April 11th, 2005, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby ShineGirl » April 11th, 2005, 9:58 am

It's definitely not bad that you didn't tell your husband how much you weigh. It's your weight and if you choose to share that info. with someone than it's YOUR choice. Don't feel bad.....Keep up the good work! Krissie
ShineGirl
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby ljm498 » April 11th, 2005, 10:16 am

Believe it or not, my dh knows. :oops: But, it wasn't by me just being forthcoming. You see, dh is a stick. High metabolism etc. And one day he was complaining that he thinks he's getting fat because, God forbid, his size 28 waist jeans were tight. Well, it just ticked me off and it just came flying out of my mouth. I said something to the effect of well, you could be 214!!!! I said it for shock value and for reality to slap him upside the head. The dear man didn't even flinch (thankfully for his sake). He did shut up really quickly though :lol:
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498

Postby raederle » April 11th, 2005, 10:26 am

24K-- too funny!

I agree with the others-- you aren't a bad person or a sneak or mistrustful if you don't tell your DH what you weigh. All in good time-- if you want to tell him later, when you feel better about the number, I see no problem with waiting!

I did tell my DH what I weighed when I got to goal, but the funny thing is, he has no idea what 125 even means. We met in college, when I weighed 180, but we didn't start dating seriously until years later, when I was down to about 150. Now that I'm at 125, he appreciates the loss because he knows I've been working so hard at MFing, but gets this vacant look on his face when I say, "Gosh-- remember when I was in college and weighed 180? Can you believe I'm more than 50 pounds lighter now?" He says, "You were 180? I don't think so. Well, I always thought you looked great." I think most guys just see the person they love, and don't get a lot of meaning out of the numbers like we do. (Thank goodness!)

That's what I need all *you* guys for! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » April 11th, 2005, 10:53 am

My husband knows my weight. He is actually doing medifast too. (don't tell him I told you!!!, I think thats a guy thing....no one needs to know his business...)

Anyway, currently I am 4 pounds less than him. I'm okay with that, but I am dreading the day he passes me up, because as we know the dang men lose much quicker than us snails.....However he never comments about my weight, and is actually very encouraging. It is great having someone to do this with too.

Maura
Last edited by itsgonnaworkthistime on April 11th, 2005, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 11th, 2005, 11:01 am

My husband weighs me so he knows.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 11th, 2005, 11:43 am

I'm glad to know I am not the only one who has keep their weight from their spouse. I guess I am just embarrassed, even with my husband, that I allowed myself to get to this point. Though, he certainly understand I have been through a great deal of heartache for the past 11 years. (which by the way happens to be the same amount of time I have not been able to lose weight, GO FIGURE)

Thanks for the support.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » April 11th, 2005, 11:54 am

as soon as my chest is small enough where I can see over it to see the scale I will weigh myself.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby kassilou » April 11th, 2005, 2:06 pm

I don't tell my dh, either. He might know, as I keep my journal on the computer and he's come near me when I had it up and couldn't close it fast enough, but he's never said a thing about it to me in our whole 14 years of marriage...and I've put on about 60# in that time. I don't even put my ticker so that it shows my actual weights, only the amount I've lost and have yet to lose. Even in my ticker shows pounds lost and yet to lose, not my actual weight. Anyone can approximate where I started, but the actual number is not known.

I guess for me getting into onederland will be a HUGE milestone. That will be my "proof" to myself that I can really do this, can go all the way with it. Once I get there, or when I hit 100# lost, I'm planning to change my ticker to actual weights. I might even tell dh what I weigh then, cuz I'll finally be less than him!
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou

Postby dlr2424 » April 11th, 2005, 4:55 pm

24KaratGold wrote:I'd like a show of hands from those of you in the listening audience who HAVE told your husband what you weigh.

:: pause ::

Didn't think so.

Carry on.

:mrgreen:

24K... that was pretty funny....:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ...and ohh so true!!!!!

Donica...nothing wrong with that.....I've been with my husband 29 years...and have never told him... :no: ... (unless of course it was one of the few times I weighed in the 120's ... and then was happy to share .... :grin: ...even when I was being wheeled into delivery and the nurse needed to know my weight...I lied... :huh: ...my husband was right there...I was mortified...I was 184...he was only 170...at that point there was no other option... :x ...how was I to know they administered anesthesia according to your weight...
Donna..dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » April 13th, 2005, 12:04 am

Great post!

NOPE, NO WEIGH did I ever tell Terry how much I weighed!

Not until I got to Onderland.

I still do not want him peekin' over my nekkid shoulder when I leap on the scales.

Last summer we were with some friends taking a tour of homes (you know, The Street of Drools) and there was a large scale in the master BR.

This Dorkster with us wanted me to get on it. It was afternoon, Sunday - pie day...no way did I want to get on - water retention, heels, clothes, group of people standing around me, NO WEIGH!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room