Anyone from TX?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Anyone from TX?

Postby aimalasplace » August 13th, 2005, 4:39 am

Hi again,
I live in San Antonio and was wondering if anyone lives here too? I moved here from CT in March. I haven't had much time to see the city but I love what I have seen so far. I Live near Kirby on the 35/410 east northeast side. I am looking for a email buddy if anyone is interested. My start date will either be Monday or Tuesday depending on the time of my package arrives. I have to work Tuesday-Friday 7p-7a. I may be in here alot looking for reassurance/encouragemnt. I can't email while at work- they won't let you do that. Well I look forward to hearing from you all
aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Ash's mom » August 13th, 2005, 5:41 am

Hi Aimalasplace,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Medifast. :wave: I'm not in San Antonio but am a neighbor to the north in Dallas. I have just visited your lovely city 2 weeks ago and absolutely love San Antonio. I took my son to Sea World and we had a great time. Just when I thought there was nowhere hotter than Dallas, San Antonio definitely takes the cake...adding in that extra humidity is a bear. :shades:

You will love the forum and everyone here. Visit often and share any questions/concerns you may have. I look forward to reading your posts.

I hope you have a speedy delivery of your package!! :redprowl:

Now get your cowboy hat on and head to the Alamo for a look see..... :yippee:

Talk to ya soon!!

:goodluck:
Ash's mom
Regular Member - #20 Club

Austin, TX

Postby jentuke » August 13th, 2005, 8:26 am

Hi Aimalasplace!

I'm just a bit north also, in Austin. I started Monday, August 8 and I'm on day 6 now.

Let us know if we can help in any way!
jentuke
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby martha » August 13th, 2005, 10:54 am

Hi Aimalaspace--
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
I don't live in Texas but Mississippi is not as far as all that :mrgreen: I can't wait for you to get started with the program..You will love it and we look forward to you coming to the forum as much as possible..It really is a great place for all the encouragement you need..
I have been to S.Antonio before for a weigh loss convention..I loved it there. We stayed over around the Riverwalk..Loved it and actually walked the whole thing..Loved the area around the Alamo and walking downtown and the fiesta palce(like a flea market) .. There were some really great and unusal places to visit there.. I look forward to seeing less of you once you get started.. Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby aimalasplace » August 14th, 2005, 3:12 pm

It's nice to have some "neighbors"
Hope to talk to u'all regularly
Aimeé
32 5'3"
230/230/199
Start 10/31/05

aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » August 14th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Hi ya'll, Aimee ~

There are several Texans on board here, they will be around soon to greet you, I'm sure.

I taught for two very long hot summers in San Antonio in the early 90's. It is a beautiful city and the people were incredibly friendly and precious to me! I taught teachers how to teach dyslexic children using the Slingerland Approach.

I am from the northwest and lemme tell ya, this Fat Girl about died the first few weeks I was there. Our summers here are very pleasant - about 80 degrees. The first day I was in San Antonio it was over 100 degrees and the humidity was very high, too.

I saw my first cockroach there...it landed on my shoulder...

I fainted in the classroom the first week of school. I was in an older building with no AC (in NE Independent School District) with about 25 kids ages 8-9 and 30 teachers in the back of the classroom observing me as I taught the children.

All the teachers came to class each morning with big orange Aladin thermos jugs sippin' Sweet Tea from Bill Miller's BarBQ drive up!

Then we had lightning - like I have never seen before!

You will have a lot of cool experiences, I'm sure - just think - San Antonio is where you got skinny!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby martha » August 14th, 2005, 4:05 pm

NANCY--

Oh my GOSH you had a terrible 2 years there.. :x and yes the weather and humidity is horrible here compared to when I was in Seattle.. No A/C in TEXAS is not something I could do..You are a very special person..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha

Postby aimalasplace » August 14th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Nancy,
I don't know how you got through the summers without A/C. I too have discovered the biggest cockroaches EVER. :uhuh: My cats love them- they have caught 2- I am unsure if it means we have a problem cause in CT if you have them you're infested. They also smaller and no wings.
The lightning is terrifying- I am getting used to it but I had to drive home Wednesday in full out storm. :lightening: I am leary of flooding, but so far so good.
:bounce: I can add the weightloss on my list of firsts in my new life at San Antonio.
Aimeé
32 5'3"
230/230/199
Start 10/31/05

aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » August 14th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Oh, Aimee!

The cockroaches were as big as Buicks! I slept with the lights on the entire two summers I was there!

I stayed in a very nice hotel (Embassy Suites) and they sprayed my room but they were there...icky!

The Riverwalk is wonderful, the people are terrific but I like living here in the northwest - no roaches, no lightning and tolerable nights!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » August 15th, 2005, 9:43 am

I'm in the San Diego area, but I'm moving to North Texas in a couple of weeks; does that count? I'll be in either Arlington or North Richland Hills (just north of Fort Worth); I won't know till I go this week to find a place to live.

But ... giant cockroaches????
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Nancy » August 15th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Robin ~

:shock: Oh, my!

You have a lot to do in the next few weeks, don't you? Packing, moving, hunting for a new place to live, I assume a new job to begin, etc. :hug:

New surroundings, time zone and climatic changes, and yet...we remain the constant in your life - your Medi-friends go with you wherever you are!

It will be important for you to keep your water and meal intake on schedule as much as you are able as there won't be much you can do to eliminate the stress, strain and sleep pattern changes.

Our best to you as you prepare for your move, Robin!

Yup, the cockroaches are HUMONGOUS there - Texas size!

I stayed for two summers in San Antonio and my two experiences certainly are not meant to paint a sweeping description of how it will be for you. This was just my little experience at that particular point in time.

I was initiated into bugdom when I arrived at the townhouse condo where I would stay for the summer. I had never ever seen one before so a cockroach of any size seemed big.

The school district had rented the condo for me and it was located in a nice neighborhood within walking distance of a Kmart, a Storage store, restaurants, etc.

I had sent 10 or more boxes of books, teaching materials, etc. by UPS to the school directly prior to my arrival and was dropped off at the door with three huge suitcases and a tote bag or two. (Leopard Woman needs a lot of stuff). I placed my luggage inside the door and took a peeky poo around my summer place. It had a small galley kitchen, a dining room and a spacious living room. I turned on the light in the BR across from the kitchen.

There were several honkin' black beetles in there, some scrambled. I decided I had waited about 5 hours to use the BR during my flight, what's a few minutes longer, eh?

I dragged my luggage up the stairs to look over my bedroom. I didn't see any critters in the bedroom or the adjoining BR. Whew! I unpacked, hung up my clothes, put things in the drawers, put my make up and toiletries in the bathroom and set out my shower gear, including a can of Spray 'n Wash for hand-laundering.

When I sat down on the throne, something happened to catch my eye...to my utter horror, a creature from the bowels of the tub crawled out of the drain! It began to crawl around in the tub. Well, I was not in a position to stop mid-stream right there and whack it with a shoe so I grabbed the bottle of Spray n' Wash and shot a line of the laundry stain lifter right onto the cockroach.

No kiddin' - it flipped over and croaked right there!

I made a note of it...always carry Spray n' Kill Bug and Laundry Stain Lifter with me.

I learned to look in my shoes before putting them on.

I kept ALL food in the refrigerator and put nothing in the cupboards.

I was so freaked about having a few hitch hike home in my suitcases upon my return to Portland that I bought bug bombs. I took all my clothes out of the drawers and set them on the bed. I opened my suitcases on the closet floor and separated the hangers, closed the door bombed the closet. I bombed the bedroom and the clothes on the bed.

My clothes were probably toxic and hazardous but I didn't want any bugs riding home with me.

I saw the Alamo, armadillos and deer. I loved the hill country and went to Sea World – imagine! I saw beluga whales and dolphins in Texas!

The buildings are tall and stately; the malls are abundant.

The people are truly wonderful. The women were beautiful and the children enchanting. I have never been mam’d so many times in my life – in fact, it was the first mamming by a child ever! Very polite children.

I loved the influence of Mexico everywhere – the colors are bright and it seems like a fiesta all the time. Remember, I live in the northwest and we have our own culture and climate here but our days are often gray and overcast in the late fall, the winter and spring and people wear a lot of dark foresty colors. People here are totally into nature, really into biking, jogging, etc. and wear a lot of casual clothing, sweats and many women go au naturale with their hair styles and make up…Texan women live in Mary Kay country and there are a lot of beauty pageant winners in Texas – the women dress nicely and look beautiful, IMHO.

Robin, we wish you the best…check your shoes before you put them on!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby horsey girl » August 15th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Aimee', Welcome.':wave:' I am from a little town northwest of Fort Worth and there is another medifaster, Spunky, up here. I think there are enough of us to start a Texas club. San Antonio is a beautiful city. My daughter went to law school there.

Robin, Everything is bigger in Texas! Including the cockroaches, scorpions, and centipeds. I have a more pleasant way of keeping them out of the house. Housecats are pretty good at discouraging them from moving in and those that do so anyway, are just a pile of legs the next morning. ':cateye:'

Nancy, You have such fond memories of San Antonio. SprayN'Wash huh! I will have to remember that. We moved to Texas from 6000' up in the mountains of Montana which we left in a howling blizzard. That year Texas set hundred year records for heat and it hit 117 degrees actual temperature where we were. I sure thought we had moved to #*^*. But we don't want to scare the people who haven't even arrived yet. Texas has its good points too. Welcome both you new Texans. Horsey Girl
Ad Astra per Aspera
horsey girl
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Nancy » August 15th, 2005, 9:19 pm

HorseyGirl ~

just a pile of legs the next morning

Loved it! Great mental picture!

117 degrees?

Sheesh! That IS hot!

:twisted: :twisted: Flaming hot! :twisted: :twisted:

Did you lay around in the shade of a tree and pant?
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby aimalasplace » August 15th, 2005, 9:28 pm

A Texas club would be great. I think alot of us are imports to this State. It would be fun to compare all the differences to our home states/towns.
I moved here in March, and it has been a great time so far. I don't know about this heat though, I hate going outside, I live in an A/C home :exercise: and keep the curtains drawn- More than one Texan has commented on my pale white skin (always been whiter than everyone)
I look forward to chatting with you all
Aimeé
32 5'3"
230/230/199
Start 10/31/05

aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » August 15th, 2005, 9:33 pm

Aimee ~

If you avoid the sun, you won't get skin cancer! You will be slim, trim and lily white!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Next

Return to Come on in.