6 and 0 or 5 and 1?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

6 and 0 or 5 and 1?

Postby mellowmom » June 26th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Just curious. Who all on this board is on 5/1 with the Lean and Green and who all is on the 6/0 MF Meals only plan?

And why did you choose the programs you did?

I'm on 5 & 1 because I didn't want to go through the hassle (and at the time, embarassment) of going to see my doctor and have him "monitoring" aka "looking over my shoulder". I tend to want to take care of myself and not rely on medication and was afraid that if I went to see my doc he would take one look at me and put me on glucophage and lipitor or Crestor or insulin or.... Stupid thinking at the time, I know, but wise choices when it comes to my health, historically, have not been my strong point.

Luckily, it appears my choice of Medifast actually was a great choice for me.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 26th, 2006, 10:27 pm

I do the 5 & 1 because of the reasons you mentioned AND I like the real-world training I get from my L & G. I like knowing what a portion size is, how much a serving should be, etc. I also like being able to go out to eat in the "real world" with friends and get "real food!"

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby mellowmom » June 26th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Ditto what Dede said....

I also like the opportunity to test out what I've learned concerning Lean and green meals, and portion size and being able to go out to a restaurant with friends if I want.
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby alpha femme » June 27th, 2006, 12:01 am

6/0 cause i can't cook, have no stove, and need the regimen & not having to think. also, when i do eat a lng now, it kills my stomache... so i just don't.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » June 27th, 2006, 12:08 am

I'll be honest with you. My ideal plan was 5 and 1. The reason was that I would be more used to eating a meal and my stomach would be mroe used to real food eventually. Plus, there is the whole thing of eating out and not having to explain to people why you aren't eating what they are and by having that one meal a day I can do that.

However, shortly after I seriously began, I was finishing up my last classes and working days on end. So, I never ate anything until I rememebr ed to and then I grabbed what was there. My mom died on Easter and then I wasn't in the mood to eat all the stuff people were bringing over. I had other stuff going on and to be honest, I was going 12-14 hours without eating anything at all.

So, now I find myself in the middle of the summer and I want to keep re-staritng frsh for more than a few hours. I have no problem with the water. My problem is with remembering to eat anything. I can sometimes work all night on papers and wake up at 2 pm and have oatmeal or something and then work all day and forget to stop again and eat. So, I either get the "Screwed up already today" feeling or "Have somehting now and keep going" feeling.

To be completely honest (and I am shocked I am even writing any of this at all since I tend not to tell anyone anything) my new plan is to do the 6 and 0. It is easier than stopping to cook, and I am a good cook, but I don't have the time. I also feel like I wasted so much time messing up that I need to catch up and using the meals I haev without shopping is easier and less tempting.

I am plannign on 6 and 0 adn then 1-2 times a week do the 5 and 1 when I go out or am in an emergency-type situation. I relaly want to get on a good path before school starts again adn haev this all come second nature. I feel like when this program is over it will be completely different, but until then I am too stressed to concentrate on stopping to go shop and cook and think more than I have to.

Wow. Okay, 'nuf said there. :oops:
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 27th, 2006, 2:59 pm

I started on the 5-and-1 because I wanted to eat real food and I thought it would be better training for when I reached maintenance. Plus I didn't want to see my doc that often AND I really didn't like the Medifast food enough to eat only that all day long.

Lately I've been on a 6-and-1 plan, after I found that I lost more quickly and consistently (for me; still slower than most) when I had an extra supplement every day.

And in the interest of full disclosure, lately I've actually substituted a couple of outside products for Medifast meals. I want to get more maintenance practice, plus the high carb content and some of the ingredients in a few of the Medifast products (Bars, I'm talking to you!) have been a concern since the beginning (and especially now that I have that extra meal every day). It's hard to say if they're having any effect; yes, I gained a pound last week, but it's gone now and I'm pretty sure it's because I started working out with weights. I had started one of the outside foods a couple of weeks earlier with no negative effect; I added another this week, and have since lost the pound that I had gained.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Prancer » June 27th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I am doing 5&1 plan. I thought it would be easier to have a normal dinner with my family and cause less problems. So far it has been working better then I thought. My dh and kids are all getting really good healthy dinners every single night now. I also dont know how I would feel if I didnt get the satisfaction of chewing something during the day.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Ketann » June 27th, 2006, 6:47 pm

I do 5 & 1 simply because I am a diabetic.

Keturah
Ketann

Postby Aerie » June 28th, 2006, 4:54 am

6-0. Just suites my all or nothing personality. On Sundays tho' I do a L&G day. Usually 4 MF and one L&G just can't get in 5 when I'm full from a meal.
Aerie

Postby Sarya » June 28th, 2006, 6:05 am

I do the 5&1. After my pizza cheat I did switch to a slightly modified 6&0 for a couple days to try to screw my head back on straight. It seems to have helped, but I'm going to stick with the 5&1 for the longterm. Although I need the strict guidelines of MF to not go overboard I also think I need that one meal a day for some variety.
Sarya

Postby jump4joy » June 28th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I switch back and forth with both, depending on my day (what I'm cooking for my family, how I feel that day, etc). I'm from the old MF School, where it was allowed, even encouraged, to go back and forth (my quick-start guide from a few years ago suggests doing the complete plan on weekdays and the 5 & 1 on weekends, for example). Don't want to corrupt anybody though. :twisted: I lost all my weight in previous medifasting doing just the full-fast, and later, doing both. I find that going back and forth is what works best for ME. I do see my Dr.'s Nurse Practioner (who is wonderful! I like her much better than the dr.) on a regular basis.....more often if I'm doing the complete program more than the 5&1.
I like the flexibility this gives me and it works best for my needs and lifestyle.

Thanks for starting this thread...I've been curious about that, too.

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 29th, 2006, 9:48 am

I have been doing the 6/0 plan from the beginning but have been off-plan for a few days while my life tries to settle down. Am considering trying the 5/1 for a while and see how I do.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room