1st 2 weeks down, and a question about dizzyness

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

1st 2 weeks down, and a question about dizzyness

Postby tepaba » November 30th, 2005, 5:44 pm

Hi there, I have been lurking around the past couple of weeks and have nothing but respect for all of you and your positive attitudes, as well as your successes.

I am a 35 year old male 6' 7" tall and I started the plan at 264.5 lbs. Two weeks later and I lost a total of 17 lbs so far (now at 247.5). The cravings are mostly gone, but I haven't cheated with any non plan foods so far.

My question is regards to lightheadedness or feeling dizzy, fuzzy headed etc. On day 4 and 5 I was pretty lightheaded, and ate an extra shake or a bar to help with that. I felt better after a few hours and it hasn't come back until today. I did some yardwork and started to work up a bit of a sweat before I was finished. Since then I have been feeling that fuzzy head again and was looking to find out any other information you might have for me.

I read in the guide to have another shake, and I did actually have more than that. I think today, I am on the 7 + 1 plan instead of my normal 5 +1 because I think I just need more calories or something.

I know that there are people at a higher weight than me doing this plan, but all I can think of is that I am pretty tall and need more food sometimes than someone else. Is that correct thinking? I have another shake, or another bar or soup to try and help this. Even with my eating extra food I lost 17 lbs in 14days, so I don't think I am too far off the mark, but any info would be great.
tepaba

Light Headed

Postby Jan » November 30th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Hmmmm,
You are most likely losing a lot of fluid ( You know all those trips to the potty) Unfortunately our bodies don't discriminate between salts and we lose quite a few. So, I would guess that your dizziness is due to a lack in salt. We generally ask someone to drink a cup of regular bouillon to replace some salts. This generally helps. The other thing that can cause dizziness is a drop in blood pressure. This is especially true if you take a BP medication. I know I myself was whoozing around my kitchen in the morning and had to have my BP med cut in half ( that's a good thing) If the dizziness persists with bouillon or no BP problem you might want to take a trip to the Dr. to check things out.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby tepaba » November 30th, 2005, 8:04 pm

I have been having the boullion cubes once or twice a day, and my BP is good the last visit I had to the doctor about a week ago (unrelated problem). It could be the lack of salt even with my boullion use, Ill have to have some more just in case. Thanks for the response!
tepaba

Dizziness

Postby Jan » November 30th, 2005, 8:10 pm

You could have been correct to start with. You are a very tall man and might just need a few extra calories -- an extra shake. I picked up on the salt issue when you stated that you had been working in the yard and worked up a bit of a sweat -- that would increase your salt loss as well.
We'll wait and see what Nancy has to say
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Unca_Tim » November 30th, 2005, 9:03 pm

Hi tepaba and welcome to the forum,
Sounds like a salt/potassium issue to me too. Especially like Jan thought, that it happened while working up a little sweat.
An extra shake at your size shouldn't hurt either.

Also just checking, you are on the Medifast 70 products?

Keep us posted,
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby tepaba » November 30th, 2005, 9:35 pm

Yes, I am on the 70 shakes. I thought it was just the working outside that did it myself, but when I first started on day 4 or so and had the lightheadedness, I wasn't doing anything that strenous. I was thinking because I work 12 hour nights parts of the week, and a couple days a week I revert back to a day schedule, that my meal times can be out of whack for a day or so before I get stabilized.

As for a possible potassium deficiancy, would a multivitamin or something else be helpful? Any other foods that I can eat on the plan have more potassium that I could need?
tepaba

Postby Unca_Tim » December 1st, 2005, 12:02 am

Hi tepaba,
Here's a good post from a while back:
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-233.html

Nancy's busier than busy right now, but i'm sure she'll come along and chime in about potassium ASAP.

There's also our TSFL Nurse's line and Doctor's conference calls, if you feel the need for it.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby tepaba » December 1st, 2005, 12:11 am

That was an informative post, and sounds quite a bit like what I am going through.

I guess if we are going into specifics, its not true dizziness, like I don't feel like passing out, no spinning or anything like that. Lightheaded or foggy is more to the point, as the lady mentioned in that post. I do experience it for longer duration than that lady.

After my post above, I had my lean meal, which was chicken and raw spinach, and I felt better not long after I ate it. I think I could eat some of that a bit more spread out during the day, or take a supplement. I appreciate your post and thoughts, I didn't think of calling the doctor/support line, but it's good to know that it is there.
tepaba

Postby Nancy » December 1st, 2005, 7:59 am

Tepaba ~

I concur about the salt loss and fluid imbalance, particularly since you are still new to the program. The bouillon is needful, especially if you are doing physcial labor.

My husband is...uh, to be politically correct and kind here, height-challenged - fully a foot shorter than you and he was atop our roof cleaning the gutters and removing moss from the shingles on a very hot northwest day. He was two weeks into our weightloss program. He became very dizzy and his legs were weak and rubbery. I hought I'd have to go up there and carry him down over my shoulder fireman-style!

He sat down on the roof while I made a humungo cup of bouillon with three cubes and delivered it up the ladder to him. He also drank two bottles of water. He recovered within 20 minutes or so.

Since you are tall, I'd suggest that you increase your water consumption and you may indeed need an extra shake or two on a daily basis if you are active. Our program is designed primarily for sedentary people who gradually increase their activity level as their weight is reduced and if your activity level is high to begin with, you may need the extra calories to support your body's needs.

If you are taking blood pressure medications, please consult with your physician. Some of the symptoms you describe can also indicate that your medication dose needs to be adjusted.

I see that you have posted more here regarding how you feel. Potassium is definitely something to consider. Drinking a lot of water coupled with the Medifast that is dehydrating, it is possible that some potassium could help you. Check with your doctor by all means.

The TSFL Nurse is in today, I believe.

Let us know what you find out!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby tepaba » December 2nd, 2005, 12:55 am

Thanks for the further information, Nancy.

I don't take blood pressure meds, I have spot-on normal BP, from my doctor's visit a couple of weeks ago (unrelated hearing problem).

I understand what you are saying about active people needing a bit more food.

I guess I wouldn't consider myself "active" per se, but I was up working on the roof in the cold, and was dressed warm and sweating up my hat a bit, lifting and stretching alot. I do feel better now, as I usually do after eating my lean and green.

I am scheduling a physical next week, just a normal checkup after turning 35, getting cholesterol scores and whatnot. I didn't consult a doc before trying medifast, but I will now, just to be safe. It sounds like the post that Unca Tim linked to had a similar problem as mine, and was advised that losing alot of weight in a short time can have this effect. Hopefully, my house won't start blowing away with the wind as it did the other day, so I can stay inside where it is warm!
tepaba

Postby mytime » December 4th, 2005, 10:17 pm

T - I have this too on occasion - and I have LONG days like you do. I notice it is on those long days when I am not getting enough sleep and working 12 hours + or _. What I do now and it seems to be helping is follow the plan and eat every 2 to 3 hours on the long days until I get to sleep - this means some days I am doing the 6 and 1 as well. Good luck with it and rise slowly. Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LeeannNH » December 5th, 2005, 7:08 pm

hi tepaba

i have the same issue and my doctor recommended the boullion. i actually didnt have this until i started exercising. she also recommended that i keep a salt packet with me. its amazing how much it helps!

good luck
leeann
Starting weight on Nov. 3, 2008: 220 | Present weight: 220 | Goal: 135
LeeannNH
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » December 5th, 2005, 10:53 pm

People that work many hours and do not get much rest or sleep time often do need an extra packet or two. Eating on time is really important and yep, that sodium is helpful!

Keep up the great work, Folks!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby tepaba » December 8th, 2005, 10:29 pm

Hi there, a bit of an update. Kind of depressing, but I thought you might like to know, maybe not.

I really couldn't function as I was. I work long hours, and have to stay alert and do work both on my work days and my days off, when I take care of my baby. It was too disconcerting feeling lightheaded everytime I stood up from sitting, or just bending over (frequent at my job and at home)

I just couldn't deal with the constant lightheadedness so I started transitioning off the MF after about 2.5 weeks total. I Lost about 19 lbs during that time.

After a couple of days of eating more veggies, some fruit and breads and such, I feel better. I did some more research and this does appear common with low carb diets, some get worse than others I guess. After about a week now off the diet and I have lost a couple pounds more. Basically, I am eating my chicken, big salads, fruits, and whole grain breads and (just a little) pasta. I guess my body needs a bit more balance with the carbs and protein, fruits and veggies.

Not every diet is right for every person, and unfortunatly, Medifast doesnt seem right for me, despite me really wanting it too!

My fiancee started up on MF and she is about a week in, and isnt having any of my symptoms. She is pretty happy (1st week, 8 lbs), as she is going to be using the bulk MF packs I bought off of ebay for about 50% of what the retail packages go for So at least my money won't go to waste.

Thanks all for looking and thank you even more for your advice and suggestions.
tepaba

Return to Come on in.